Thread: Attention Whores, $$$ and YouTube

Default Attention Whores, $$$ and YouTube

This is an observation. I saw on YouTube this morning where they are promoting what they call "Sponsored Videos" (see: https://ads.youtube.com/index). In short, video submitters who PAY YouTube for additional placements and promotion of their videos will get higher views and exposure.

It is no secret that it is getting harder and harder for videos uploaded to YouTube to gain as much traction as they used to. After all, with over 14 hours of material being uploaded to TouTube every hour, only the most unique viral stuff (not necessarily better videos) get all the attention. I realized that when, quite recently, I observed that several of my own videos had tanked at very low numbers on YouTube, while the very same videos were doing VERY well over on Yahoo.

This is understandable, as Yahoo does not yet have anywhere near the upload volume of YouTube and one is not competing against so much "dross" (Mark's favorite word) and trash. But the real eye-opener in the observation is this:

Google has finally found the winning formula to make its YouTube business model commercially profitable. There are now more than enough video "Attention Whores" out there who are willing to PAY YouTube to be seen. After all, it is similar in concept to the 1-900 telephone scheme in the U.S. where people are changed by the minute to dial-up a 900 number and have phone sex with an unknown sexy voice on the other end. The person who conceived this idea, i.e. YOU pay THEM for the privilege of talking trash over the phone while jerking-off, was a friggin genius. Now, some brilliant marketer at Google has figured out how to apply the concept to Internet video viewing platforms. They can't fail with this approach. It takes the "Film Festival" entry fee scam to a new level.

Blog Entries

It had to happen sooner or later. People are offering services to guarantee youtube views, so it's no surprise that YouTube themselves would offer such a service. Vanity publishing...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    It had to happen sooner or later. People are offering services to guarantee youtube views, so it's no surprise that YouTube themselves would offer such a service. Vanity publishing...
    I was not aware of that!

Blog Entries

We had a chap on here a few months ago offering such a service.

Blog Entries

Tut - this can only damage you tube I think. It is short sighted.

Blog Entries

Tis the way of business. The same happened with search engine results.

Blog Entries

Indeed - but at least it is clear on google which results are sponsored - I suspect you tube wont share that tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Indeed - but at least it is clear on google which results are sponsored - I suspect you tube wont share that tho.
    They are the selections marked "Promoted Videos"