Thread: DVD duplication?

Default DVD duplication?

I'm nearly finished shooting, editing, and authoring a bodyboarding/clowning about dvd, which I intend to give to all my friends who feature in it. I will soon have the final dvd (from Encore).

My question is, what is the best way to get it duplicated?
    I need 50 copies to start with, and possibly more (100-200) in the future. All with cases, regular cover-inserts and graphics for the dvd itself.

Would I be best off doing it myself with a bunch of cheapish dvd-r's, some stick-on dvd things, and getting the covers printed at uni'?
    or, getting some company to do everything for me, with on-dvd printing?

I plan on selling a few (25-50) to cover the cost of giving them away to my mates. Time is not really a problem, I don't need them really quickly.

Anyone used any UK dvd duplication companies (amstore.co.uk etc...) before? are they worth it for small batches?

thanks if anyone can help.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Blog Entries

If you've got a burner, have design skills and access to a printer, it's not cost effective for such a small production run.

I assume my printer prints a colour A4 page for approximately 5p per page. Addto this the cost of approximately 20p for a sheet of photo quality A4 paper and you have a cover for 25p. You then need the labels. Lets also assume these are glossy colour, so lets assume 40p including printing. Now add the cost of a blank DVD and amaray case assuming you order 50. Cheapest 4x I could find was 25p per disc, and 12p for the case:

Cover: 25p
    Label: 40p
    DVD: 37p
    Total: 1.02

I guess you should factor into this the time spent burning (i.e tying up your PC and the wear and tear on the burner) but compare this to a production run of 50 with amstore and you save 3.40 per dvd or a total saving of 170.

These people are quite reasonably priced (UK company).

http://www.gradeamedia.co.uk/e-commerce/DVD_dup.php
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Default thanks

cheers.

I've done a short run (25) before myself, printing the dvd labels, but getting the cover printing done for me, the total cost was about 1.50, but it was a hassle burning all the copies on my 4x burner, so I'd prefer to get them done for me.

gradeAmedia.co.uk sound like a good bet, (1.10 each for 50 with cases) so then I just have to do the printing myself, which is a lot less hassle than the burning.

Duplicated dvd + case: 1.10
    Cover: 25p
    Label: 40p
    Total cost: 1.75
    Total cost for 50: 87.50

I'm willing to pay 70p each to avoid fannying about with my writer for a couple of days.

Thanks very much.

Yup, it's always a balance between cost over convenience.
    Let us know how you get on with them
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

I'd definately agree that arsing around with a DVD burner for 50 copies could be tedious, but you'd be surprised at how quickly it goes: create an image of the DVD, burn this with Nero, set the number of copies to 50 and pop a new DVD in each time it pings!

Won't be finished for a little while, but I'll let you know how it goes.
    When I did a small run before I used a similar method to the one described but I have to fit in burning around lectures and filming/surfing etc. so I end up doing about 3 at a time then aborting.

Can't wait 'til I've got it all finished.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bgarthp
    but I have to fit in burning around lectures and filming/surfing etc.
    Oh to be a student again

Firstly....if you do it yourself...DO NOT USE STICKY LABELS ON THE DVDS

if you must ...use an epson printer (fairly cheap to buy) that prints on disc.

If you want duplication we use.... Duplication Centre - Home

for replication Replication Centre

The guy that owns the firms is called Martin Johnston....we have used him for nearly every DVD/CD project we've done.... the gloss finish on the DVDs themselves makes them look the part....when we have shown them to prospective clients....that really sells the project....prices are not too bad....turnaround is fairly quick...and as its duplication you can start at 50 copies....just design your artwork, upload it...send in a copy of the master...then sit back.