Thread: Green Screen in School

Default Green Screen in School

I'm working on a video at the moment, and I'm going to use a green screen while I'm doing so. I was just wondering if it would work if I used the green screen in a classroom the lighting would be good enough?

Blog Entries

Should be cool in a well lit classroom - try to avoid shadows on the screen.

Ive never ever been happy with any of the green screen work ive done. Even at my colleges studio, Im always using subtrack masks in after effects to help make it look better and it still looks bad.

Try and seperate your subject as farrrrrr away from the screen as you can to remove shadows. This can be a problem depending on the size of the screen. I remember the first time I green screened I put my subject like a foot away, wow did that suck lol. Doing this also lets you focus on the talent, and put the greenscreen out of focus. This will help get rid of little wrinkles on the greenscreen. But major wrinkles will be a major problem. But I dont think you will have many shadow issues, classrooms are usually pretty evenly lit

If you do have a small lighting kit, or even a hallogen construction light you can put a gel on it opposite of the colour of the screen, and use it as back light for the subject. It may help remove the subject from the screen.

But just try it. It might work perfect.

Blog Entries

My biggest moan is the green tinge to the subject caused by light reflected from the screen - here a colour correcting tool can really help.

Keep the talent as far away from the screen as possible, not always easy if you are stuck with a small screen or you are working in a confined space. Lighting is most important, both the talent and the greenscreen need to be lit separately in an ideal world. Also a backlight, behind and above the screen can be useful in reducing colour spill falling onto the talents head and shoulders. If you have access to a light meter (spot variety) then use it to check the screen to make sure it is lit evenly from top to bottom and from left to right.

Thanks for the tips guys, it'll be my first green screen shoot so it does help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    My biggest moan is the green tinge to the subject caused by light reflected from the screen - here a colour correcting tool can really help.
    The way I am using it means the subject will be black and white on a black and white background, so the green tinge won't be visible.