Thread: ghost images in transitions

Default ghost images in transitions

Hi, I have a problem that is driving me insane...I just cant figure it out....I use Premiere pro cs3 to edit my video projects and Iīm still learning. When I use some of the video transitions something very strange happens, in the cut area apears some small part of video that is not part of the two videos that I want to merge. These small ghot videos are from deleted part of video footage and they only apear when i put a transition betwen the two videos. I just donīt get it. If I deleted that part of video how can it apear in the middle of the transition. If anyone could explain or just tell me what can I do to get rid of this problem I woud apreciate it.
    Thank you.

If im reading your post right, I believe I know whats going on. So say in your source footage you want a clip thats exactly 10 seconds. Then the scene/shot on your source footage changes to something else. So you put that 10 second clip on your timeline, than you find another random scene to put on your timeline after it. When you do a disolve/transition between the clips; because your using the whole 10 seconds when the dissolve occurs it needs to gather a few extra frames from the source material to carry out the whole dissolve. If its a 30 frame transition, than your 10 second clip now technically became a 11 second frame clip. From 10:00 to 10:15 the 10 second clip will be very visible, but from 10:15 to 10:30 the 2nd clip will begin to take over. You can stop this "ghosting" if you adjust the duration of the clips, or the ammount of time it takes to do the transition.

Sorry I dont know if what im saying is very clear haha. Its hard to explain, but basically you need to just make your clips a bit shorter when you do a transition. If im understanding your problem.

Hi florin, I think whatever daleworkman has written here is right. I completely agree with him.

first of all thanks for taking the time with me...I think you got it right althow I explained it badly. I think I understand your answer but for the last sentence. If the transitions need extra frames doesnīt that mean that the two videos should be bigger not smaller?
    Thanks again.

You are putting the transition at the end of one clip and at the start of another. There are not enough frames in the outgoing clip to cover the transition so a few extra frames from the next scene that was originally after, let's call it Clip A, are now appearing and you can see them. What you need to do is make Clip A shorter so it doesn't show the frames of the next scene after it, then put your Clip B after it and put the transition between the two of them. The transition will now use the 1 or 2 seconds you cut off the end (yes it's still there) to give you a smooth crossfade or dissolve.

EDIT - The next time you capture using Premiere, in the capture window set the HANDLES figure to a much higher amount, say 12 and see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    You are putting the transition at the end of one clip and at the start of another. There are not enough frames in the outgoing clip to cover the transition so a few extra frames from the next scene that was originally after, let's call it Clip A, are now appearing and you can see them. What you need to do is make Clip A shorter so it doesn't show the frames of the next scene after it, then put your Clip B after it and put the transition between the two of them. The transition will now use the 1 or 2 seconds you cut off the end (yes it's still there) to give you a smooth crossfade or dissolve.

EDIT - The next time you capture using Premiere, in the capture window set the HANDLES figure to a much higher amount, say 12 and see how you get on.
    niko explained it much better than me

now i got it, thank you very much

wow!really helpful! Thanks a lot !!!

Hello,

I ran into a similar problem recently editing HDV in Vegas 9 Platinum and am still searching for advise how to get rid of the ghost images created by the crossfade between two different clips. I tried all sort of things such as varying the length of the fade etc. but could not get rid of the ghosts. Either Vegas is splitting on GOP boundary or pulling extra frames from the original media to implement the fade.

Thanks.
    Boris.

hi bstodoro, i might have a solution for you. what i do in premiere pro is: put the two clips on two different video tracks or layers and the one on the upper layer intersects the other enough to put a crossfade. this way you won't get any ghost images. good luck