Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Views on a wedding montage

Default Views on a wedding montage

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but have been reading the posts with interest. I was wondering if anyone could give me their views on this wedding montage I have done. The link is:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.se...wedding_hi.wmv

I is quiet a large file, but some honest feedback would be appreciated.

I await in anticipation.

Peter

There is also a smaller version available at:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.se...wedding_lo.wmv

thanks

Peter

Blog Entries

What is your target audience?

A few comments:

1) You really need to use a tripod and avoid overuse of the zoom. Practice zooming uniformly and cut out any overly fast zooms in editing.

2) Where are the bride and groom? Over a quarter of the video is just the bridesmaids and they aren't framed well during this time. Be ruthless with your editing.

3) You managed to get a microphone in shot. Edit this out

4) It may be me, but you seemed to use slo-mo a bit too much.

5) There are too many transitions used in the same scene. It looks odd to me when a transitions fades to the same scene.

I know I sound overcritical, but with tighter editing, you can make a fantastic 30 second montage out of your video.

Thanks for the feedback.

I must admit this was my first wedding montage, and I was over biased as the bridesmaid was my daughter.

I have recently set up as a wedding videographer, and a tripod is now being used, and am a lot more careful with regards to framing shots etc.

I tend to use the montage as a second disc to the main DVD, and is set to the couple’s favourite piece f music.

I will try and post one of my latest montages, to get some feedback.

But once again thanks for the comments, they were greatly appreciated.

Peter

I have to back up a lot of what Marc says. There really are too many bridesmaids shots if this is a video going to the couple. I think there were only something like 5 or so shots of the bride, and less of the groom.

Try to break the zoom and pan habit, this is what will set you apart from the amateur videographers. In broadcasting every single zoom or pan is scripted for a reason. They never zoom just to get a closer shot because they are too far away - they always move closer to the subject in those instances.

The one other point I would make is that you appear to be using transitions which don't actually transition to another scene, but rather to the same scene.

However, like Marc says, there appears to be enough footage there to make a really excellent 30 second montage.

Good luck with your new business venture.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

A few questions for you in return:

1) How many weddings have you done to date?

2) What equipment are you using to film and edit?

3) How much do you charge?

and finally

4) What was you experience before you started being a wedding videographer?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    ...and avoid overuse of the zoom. Practice zooming uniformly and cut out any overly fast zooms in editing.
    I would personaly go one step further than this. As LJR said, zooms are used for very specific reasons and very carefully planned. Unless you have a very good reason then rather than avoid overuse of zooms a better rule of thumb would be to avoid zooms completely.

Only zoom to avoid turning the camera off and on again when re-framing a shot and then edit it out completely in post production.

In Answer to your questions, they re as follow: -

1) To date I have done about 8 weddings with a couple of functions.

2) Mainly use pinnacle 9, dabbling with ulead 8 and main camera is a Sony DCR-TRV950(wanted something small and unobtrusive)

3) Top price at the moment is only £300

4) Been videoing family events as a hobby for many years, and it seemed to develop from there. The montage I have posted was done for a friend and my daughter was the bridesmaid. I got such good feedback that I then went onto to video a friends whole day, and it seemed to have developed from there.

I have a website, which you can check out at www.cherished-moments-dvd.co.uk

Hope this answers your questions, but please feel free to ask more if you want.

Cheers,

Peter

Blog Entries

Personnaly, I would disagree. I think there is certainly a place for a zoom, which can always be acheived better with a lens than in post production. If you're fiming a live event, you don';t have the luxury of stopping proceedings to change zoom. It's therefore paramount that you practice smooth zooms. I find that panning and zooming creates a rather pleasing effect.

I was worried that my comments would turn the thread into "when is it ok to zoom" discussion.

There are any number of good examples of zooms being used. I even have one in my new comp entry The point I was trying to make is simply that unless you're doing it for a good reason, it is wrong!

Just my 2p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast