Thread: sony vegas effect duration?? how??

Default sony vegas effect duration?? how??

hi guys

i have sony vegas 9. i have a video track in with it's audio track under it for that video.

Anyways, i have added some what effect to that video track from the plugins box, the thing is the effect runs all the way through that track how do i set the effect duration from where i want it to start and where i want it to end????? i know it would be a simple issue but i can't find the fix!!

thanks hope someone can help with this!!

When you apply an effect, another window opens, with a timeline in that window which relates to the clip, using that timeline you add keyframes to where you want the effect to start and finish.

Go into the vegas menu and look for "keyframes".

Paul.

Blog Entries

You are aware that you can add effects to the event, the whole track, the media or the output, aren't you? If not, be aware. This gives enormous flexibility.

Sounds to me like you want to be adding the effect here to an event (clip) but you're adding it to the track. Right click the event and select "add event FX" or whatever it's called, or click the lower green icon at the RH end of the event.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You are aware that you can add effects to the event, the whole track, the media or the output, aren't you? If not, be aware. This gives enormous flexibility.

Sounds to me like you want to be adding the effect here to an event (clip) but you're adding it to the track. Right click the event and select "add event FX" or whatever it's called, or click the lower green icon at the RH end of the event.

so i right click on the video track right and go to add event fx, i add the fx, and as pkbristol mentioned earlier, i use the keyframes trick to tell it where to start and end the whole fx for that event??

thanks guys

Blog Entries

fx can be added to imported media - this means that any clips taken from the original wherever they appear on the timeline, on any track, will have the fx applied.

Next they can be applied at track level when all media on that track will be changed. ( use k rames to apply fx to a smaller track area.)

Then as said above, and i think this is all you need, fx can be applied to a single clip on the time line - no k framess needed.

Finally fx can be applied to a whole project using the video output bus that appears at the botoom of the timeline window.

All this has been said above - just trying to sum up.

thanks for the info dude

well i have added event fx that is all great,
    but when the keyframes window popup i put keyframe from 0 to 15 seconds into that clip and i notice the fx doesnt end at the 15 second mark wat is going on. hwat am i doing wrong??

Blog Entries

Loctite, you ONLY need to use keyframes if you wish to CHANGE one or more aspects of an effect during the playing of a clip.

A simple example:
    Suppose you have a 10 second clip (event) on the timeline and you want seconds 3-6 to have a Black & White effect.
    Split the clip ("S" key) at 3 seconds (you now have 2 events)
    Split the clip at 6 seconds (you now have 3 events)
    Right Click the middle clip, select "Video event FX"
    Choose Sony Black and White
    Set you FX parameters and job done.

The film will run 3 secs as normal then 3 secs with the B&W filter, then 4 secs normal again.
    No keyframes required.

If you wanted to fade from colour to B&W you might accomplish this with keyframes by setting keyframes within the FX dialog.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-29-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Loctite, you ONLY need to use keyframes if you wish to CHANGE one or more aspects of an effect during the playing of a clip.

A simple example:
    Suppose you have a 10 second clip (event) on the timeline and you want seconds 3-6 to have a Black & White effect.
    Split the clip ("S" key) at 3 seconds (you now have 2 events)
    Split the clip at 6 seconds (you now have 3 events)
    Right Click the middle clip, select "Video event FX"
    Choose Sony Black and White
    Set you FX parameters and job done.

The film will run 3 secs as normal then 3 secs with the B&W filter, then 4 secs normal again.
    No keyframes required.

If you wanted to fade from colour to B&W you might accomplish this with keyframes by setting keyframes within the FX dialog.

Thanks
    that was very simple and straight to the point. Exactly wat i was after mate thanks a heap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loctite View Post
    that was very simple and straight to the point.
    That's a first for one of my explanations
    Tim