Thread: Appearing as yourself as 2 different characters with after effects?

Default Appearing as yourself as 2 different characters with after effects?

I have adobe after effects. What i was wondering is if it was possible for me to shoot two scenes of myself and then some how put the video together such that it appeared as though i was talking to my other person?
    So i would have a dialogue between two versions of myself?
    thanks,

There are a BUNCH of differnt ways to do this. Many that dont even require after effects. As long as the camera doesnt move, the easiest way is to just do a linear wipe and split the screen in half. Or in premier you could do a 8/16 point matte. The advantage of this is if a character crosses his a hand or a body part past the half point of a linear wipe his hand will be cropped. With the 8 or 16 point garbage matte you can create custome shaped mattes and even move them accordingly to how you need them with keyframes. You can do this in after effects as well.

You could also green screen the second character. Hope these give you some ideas.

i have no idea how to utilize green screens

Quote Originally Posted by daleworkman View Post
    There are a BUNCH of differnt ways to do this. Many that dont even require after effects. As long as the camera doesnt move, the easiest way is to just do a linear wipe and split the screen in half. Or in premier you could do a 8/16 point matte. The advantage of this is if a character crosses his a hand or a body part past the half point of a linear wipe his hand will be cropped. With the 8 or 16 point garbage matte you can create custome shaped mattes and even move them accordingly to how you need them with keyframes. You can do this in after effects as well.

You could also green screen the second character. Hope these give you some ideas.
    Although this will certainly work I would still, respectfully, recommend doing this in After Effects. Just for one reason. The 8/16 point matt in Premier is a very sharp line. The tiniest change in lighting between takes will be noticable. By doing a matt in AE you can feather the edge which will just make it work all the better.

Just my 2p