Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrath Of The Undead (2008)

Default Wrath Of The Undead (2008)

Assignment
    In groups of 3 or 4 - Create a 90 second film edited to the style of one of the following options.

• Action
    • Mood (eg. Romance, Horror, comedy)

Note: This should be a segment from the middle of a mock film, not a story from start to finish

The edited film must be 90 seconds exactly. Any below or above and marks may be deducted.

All visual material must be original. (No ripped DVD or downloaded internet footage).
    There must be NO dialogue.
    All audio should be copyright free or original eg. Personally composed music, Foley sound effects.

The use of Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, 3D software etc. is permitted to enhance the look of the film.

It must demonstrate a broad understanding of professional editing tools using Avid Xpress.

Here was the task assigned and below is what we came up with. You may have seen pictures and stills posted in previous threads, well here it is.

Made By: Callum Thomson
    Anthony Richardson
    Robert Martindale
    Kyle Corfield

YouTube - Wrath Of The Undead

Comments and ratings all welcome

Blog Entries

Suggest you give some idea of the level of this course to facilitate accurate criticism.

hi Mark

I'm a 2nd year univeristy student studying Film Poduction Technology. As you can see in the description it was an editing exercise using Avid Express Pro and the compositing done in After Effects CS3

I'm not sue why youtube has uploaded it in 4:3. I filmed, edited and rendered the video in full quality in 16:9 so I'm not sure what's happened there.

Anyway if you could give me some feedback I'd much appreciate it

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update Callum.
    Does "Film Production Technology" exclude camera techniques and such things as continuity? I only ask this because a few months ago we had a 2nd Year "Film & Media Studies" who submitted a film for comment and got all upset when we had the nerve to point out a few flaws.

If so, a few pointers (bear in mind I'm a rank amateur and don't have the benefit of any formal training in making films so you can take this or leave it)

The first few seconds have some glaring basic filing errors:
    In the first shot the action (apart from the first two seconds) is right to left (the talent is seen leaving or about to leave the screen on the left). The following shot of the same actors is basically left to right - the actors are seen entering the screen form the left. This is confusing (look up "crossing the line" and " continuity of direction"). This error recurs with the zombies - and is forced upon you due to the narrow area in which you're filming. I suspect you might even be aware of this problem as you seem to be trying to make the shots looking towards the house "head on" but you can't escape the charaters leaving the screen one side or the other.

The second problem with the cut from the first to the second shot is a glaring continuity error. In the first shot, the guy with the hair is is on the shaved head guy's right and clearly ahead of him. In the second shot, they've not only switched sides but now the shaved head guy is in front!

The next cut suffers another continuity error. In the secod shot we see the shaved head guy about to enter the doorway. In the third shot, he's bracing himself on the wall to the left of the door. Want's more the two actors have switched sides again.

Try it by extending the first shot a bit (to get the timing of the action right - and keeping to your 90 secs as it happens) and removing the second shot altogether.
    Tim

wow tim thanks very much for the feedback

I have studied camera techniques and composition and I am aware of everything you stated, but this was simply an editing technigue with zombies. As for crossing the 180 degree rule that is just a simple mistake I missed.

The continuity of the zombies was very obvious for me being the editor as I watched this so many times. I did it to make the crowd seem larger and the zombies seem more hectic. The actors crossing each others pass was a direction problem and I will look into it in future.

Thanks for the grilling anyway. I'm not gonna be a bitch and cry in the corner, its part of film-making and I can usually take everything that's thrown at me.

Thanks again

I actually really liked the begining. Fast and frantic. I found the end though quite confusing. I guess this is probably due to the lack of room at the location. Did the guy with the spade hit the zombie (who was on the floor) with it? There was also a close up of the same character that was quite jarring mainly down to the lighting.

It would have also been cool to see more gore too. Gore is good!

All in all though I thought it was cool!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    I'm not gonna be a bitch and cry in the corner, its part of film-making and I can usually take everything that's thrown at me.
    Good for you. Don't forget it's your work that will get criticised here - not you, the person. All done in the hope that all of us can benefit. This time it's not personal

It seems you were pretty much aware of what I'd said anyway, so your next film won't suffer the same mistakes? Good luck and keep posting.
    Tim

The ending was scripted to be a lot longer with a close up of a spade going through a head. I bought the mannequin head and was about to get to it after watching some tutorials online then I realised how shocking it would look. I was worried this one effect would cheapen the entire film and take the focus away from the editing. I therefore decided to leave it out and make the eyes go black instead. Maybe I should have focused on the eyes a little more. Overall the idea was he turned to a zombie- sort of.

And as for my next film I will improve, thanks again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    I actually really liked the begining. Fast and frantic.
    Quite right. I forgot to mention that deliberately destroying continuity to intentionally disorientate the audience can be a good thing!
    Tim

I never actually noticed the eyes turning black so an extreme close up of his eyes would have really sold that for me.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast