Thread: WHAT dvd writer should I purchase?

Default WHAT dvd writer should I purchase?

I am setting up a wedding video business and need to know what DVD writer I should purchase that I can rely on? I have had numerous DVD writers in the past and neither of them have been very reliable. They seem to burn OK and play on my PC or my home DVD player but several of the DVD's have had some sort of problem with them, especially on clients and friends players. Similarly I have always felt that Taiyo-Yuden discs where the best although I have had some failures recently and wonder if it is the discs rather than the writer. I do suspect the writer? I intend buying a new writer so would appreciate sound advice. Many thanks, John

Blog Entries

Or writers maybe?

My friend who does weddings has a gadget that is a stripped down pc with 8 writers in it - saves mucho time. You might also considor dvd duplication services.

As for reliability - people say you should only use -R, cut at less than max speed on branded media. I have no idea if any make is best - doubt it honestly as they are all much the same inside the box.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your input. I do use -R and the lowest speed for burning and all analyses options etc. and I regularly clean the laser.

I just wondered whether there are any more reliable writers, possibly commercial writers which can be relied on. It doesn't take long to burn 3 to 5 DVD's so time isn't a problem for me at the moment just reliability.

Thanks again, John

I have always used pioneer drives and have to say they have always been reliable and consistent. Never had a problem with discs playing in standalone players either even after a couple of years use.

I also mainly use Taiyo uden discs and these seem to work very well with the pioneer drives. The only times I have ever had coasters was down to either software issues or the odd few times I've used unbranded media or just had the odd bad batch of discs.

Well Raj, I must admit, that gives me a little more confidence than the problems I have been experiencing.

There's no doubt I will have to give Pioneer a try. I had heard before that they were better than the norm but had a bad experience with one some years ago - even then they were being applauded. Perhaps I need to brush of the chips on my shoulder about them and bite the bullet.

Many thanks Raj, John

My personal experience on the matters discussed here is as follows:

I've typically used Pioneer DVD writers. I've had the 106, 107 and 112 and never had a coaster yet from them over the years. I had a Sony writer for a while at one point but it was very unreliable. It just would not realise a disk was in there most of the time. had to eject and re-insert a blank disk half a dozen times before it would notice it. Threw that one in the bin and went back to pioneer.

Always use -R disks and burn on a medium speed.

So far I've found time to test every single disk I cut in my own DVD players just to at least make sure the menu comes up and I can choose some of the video and play it ok.

Older players are the one that tend not to like writable media. Some poeple still have players where, no matter what you do, they still won't play. Also, some players froma few years ago are fussy about which brand of media they like and don't like. Watch for that also.

The only time I;ve had someone say they couldn't play a disk of mine they then went on to say "so we played it in our PC instead and it worked fine there". At least trhey prived tome it wasn't the disk i made. Just an incompatible player.

I think the best you can really do is make sure your customers realise that not all DVD players will play recordable disks and that you test each disk you produce.

Hello Alan,

Glad to hear others are having the same sort of problems I have had over the years and I think it gives confidence in one's sanity that there is a way forward.

I think I'll be a "Pioneer", walk forth and buy one.

Many thanks, John