Thread: Football Documentary Angle Tips

Default Football Documentary Angle Tips

Ok this is the first time I am posting here, well I think its the second time. Last time I got no reply, hopefully this time yes.

I am currently shooting for a documentary based on female football (not American football plz) and the final game is this Sunday. I am planning to use 2 Cameras so I can have 2 different angles. I was thinking of placing one camera close to the field, close to the action, and placing the other on higher place, where I can capture the entire game from above. I hope you understand what I mean.

Is there any recommendation from you guys as to where would be best to shoot for a football game? The help would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

That sounds good to me.
    One camera wide and the other zoomed close in and cut between the two.
    Make sure you use a tripid if you can for the zoomed in camera, both preferably.

3. Default

Using two camera's should be ok.. while editing u can show the goal scored from two different angles and also think on using slowmo for the goals and repeat the shot couple of times using variable speeds.. Good Luck with ur documentry..
    CHEERS!!!

Appreciate the help guys. I have recorded the footage for that game, and achieved a pleasing result. Mark W you were rite having a tripod for the zoomed in camera at ground level would have been of great help. For when I looked at the footage afterward I noticed how much the camera shook which looked way unprofessional. The one that captured at a wide angle was perfect since I had a tripod for it.

I have been given the job to shoot another football game, its the finals for the mens semi-pro game and I would appreciate some tips on keeping the camera still. If you notice when the English Premier has its games, their is that one camera man that shoots on the sidelines and is running up an down with the camera.

Does anyone know how he keeps his camera still, and if he zooms in on the action? I had a problem when I tried zooming in on the action, I know its a crime to zoom in, but being that I had only 2 Cameras it was trying to improvise. Any tips anyone? The game is this Sunday by the way, it seems I am always posting and awaiting an answer like 2 days before the day of shooting. My apologies on this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by princeleal84 View Post
    .. that one camera man that shoots on the sidelines and is running up an down with the camera....Does anyone know how he keeps his camera still...
    He uses a device called a Steadicam. He wears a harness with spring loaded arms attached that take any shake out of the shots... and they're very expensive.

Blog Entries

Zooming aint a crime - tromboning is the big sin - in / out / in / out / in - try to avoid that.

Filming footaball and editing it so that it is stil interesting is a tall order.