Thread: Looking for software.

Default Looking for software.

There's only so much, special effects wise, you can do with Adobe After Effects 7 - and ultimately, I'd like to get into 3D graphics. I already have a model designed and animated - but I'm stumped as to how I would get it into a pre-produced video, and make it look good.

I have Autodesk Maya, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, and Adobe After Effects 7, can any of this software do what I want?

Do you have any ideas as to what software I would require?

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Unconscious View Post
    There's only so much, special effects wise, you can do with Adobe After Effects 7 - and ultimately, I'd like to get into 3D graphics. I already have a model designed and animated - but I'm stumped as to how I would get it into a pre-produced video, and make it look good.

I have Autodesk Maya, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, and Adobe After Effects 7, can any of this software do what I want?

Do you have any ideas as to what software I would require?

Thank you very much.
    It's all in the lighting. No expert but I've read up a little. Exporting your animation (from Maya) is a succession of different renders and not just a single one. You need to take these renders (which will include appropriate alpha channels) and composite them onto (into would be more accurate) you video using After Effects. Colour balance is the key here.

I really thought I had a book on this but can't find the book or section I was remembering or I'd quote you the reference.

Pop into your local library or a decent book store and browse the 'Maya' books. I'm sure may of them will point you well into the right direction.

When you render your file in maya, render it out as an rpf file. Make sure you have the gbuffer information saved like z-depth, object id, material effects, ect. From there when you import your item into after effects you can take advantage of the 3d channel effects. You can totally relight your 3d model, remove sections, (usefull if you want to composite say a person in a 3d enviroment), and even add fog.

actually i dont know if maya can render rpf, ive never used maya. I do know lightwave and 3ds max can though.

Awesome stuff - so it's possible to do it with the software I already have? That's good.

Would I complete the animation in Maya, and then pretty much act as if it's a greenscreened layer, and manipulate it into place?

Thanks!

Thats what I do. I dont know if theres a better way or not? The problem I run into is if there is a camera movement, its hard to sync it up with the rpf file. If you find a way of instead composing the video in maya I would love to know about it. But for now I have been rendering the rpfs to a higher resolution than my composition and using after effects track motion to make the rpf follow the camera movements.