Thread: iLink transfer problem

Unhappy iLink transfer problem

Hi,
    I`m using a Sony Dvcam 3ccd connected by Fire-wire to a pc with an Intel 2 Quad core, 4 Gig Ram, geforce 1Gig video card, 500 Gig HD and 2 Dell 22" monitors. I`m running Adobe Premiere pro cs4.
    When I connect the cam the pc recognizes it, when i start transfer, the tape rewinds, and starts transfer. After a few seconds (+/-3) the preview image starts breaking up(pixelating?) and I get an error message telling me that the device has been disconnected. The same happens when I connect the cam to another pc using windows moviemaker. so it must be the cam in some way or another. But.. the same cam connected to an Apple works fine... what could be the problem??
    Pls. help.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymike-bonaire View Post
    Hi,
    I`m using a Sony Dvcam 3ccd connected by Fire-wire to a pc with an Intel 2 Quad core, 4 Gig Ram, geforce 1Gig video card, 500 Gig HD and 2 Dell 22" monitors. I`m running Adobe Premiere pro cs4.
    When I connect the cam the pc recognizes it, when i start transfer, the tape rewinds, and starts transfer. After a few seconds (+/-3) the preview image starts breaking up(pixelating?) and I get an error message telling me that the device has been disconnected. The same happens when I connect the cam to another pc using windows moviemaker. so it must be the cam in some way or another. But.. the same cam connected to an Apple works fine... what could be the problem??
    Pls. help.
    Firewire transfer only works when you connect 24" monitors!!!

Seriously though, a few things to try...
    Clean the tape head.
    Try a differnt firewire port and/or lead
    Fast forward the tape a bit and try capturing from a different point on the tape.
    Defrag you hard drive

Can you see the tape playback on the PC when you hit play and are not actually capturing?

Can you control the camera through the firewire connection?

Blog Entries

I presume you shot on the same camera ? People often mix up dv and dv cam stuff - often this results in the symptoms you describe too.

Thanks for your input. but... I cleaned the head, nothing changed. Yes I did shoot the footage using this Cam. I also tried a different port,nothing. I also tried capturing after forwarding the tape without success. De-fragmenting the hard-drive is not applicable, it`s brand new..(virgin).
    I cannot see anything on screen while the tape is playing...
    I even bought two new 24" screens.......... kiddin`....
    Oh, before I forget, yes i can control the Cam from the screen. It`s just when starting the transfer that the image starts pixelating, stops and give an error message that the device was disconnected.
    Thanks

Presumably, when you play the footage back without recording then it look sok on both the camera screen and on the PC?

Sounds like transfer problem. Could be the hard drive or firewire.

Maybe your hard drive can't keep up with the transfer. Which disk are you capturing to. Is it your C drive? try a different physical disk if you can.

Try a differen firewire lead. not sure this will help if you can see the footage ok when the record button is not pressed.

Try diabling internate the anti virus to see if it helps at all.

And lastly, it really is firewire transfer isn't it? and not USB?

Blog Entries

How is the image on the cam screen? - if that is breaking up then it's nearly game over - you may have recorded with dirty heads meaning that what is on the tape is full of drop outs causing hte problems capturing.

Playing on another camera would be the next thing to try.