Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegas Movie Studio 9 crashes constantly

Default Vegas Movie Studio 9 crashes constantly

Hi all...I'm new to this forum and I'm REAL glad I found you! Nobody seems to be able to help me with a problem I'm having with Vegas M.S. 9 crashing during editing.
    I have had the program installed for a couple of months and even edited and burned two DVD's with NO problems. All of the sudden, I'm half-way through editing/creating a 3rd project, and the dang program just goes away, without warning! My latest project has lots of clips, fades, titles, etc., so maybe this has something to do with it? Once in a while I'll actually get an error message that says: "An exception has occured and Vegas Movie studio needs to close", something about a file access violation. I even got it to show me details recently, of course there's lots of computer code in there that I don't understand, but it refers to module: "mcmpgvdec.dll" (hope any of this helps).

I added more RAM thinking it might be a memory problem (up to 3 gig now), and even reinstalled the program. I'm using a Dell 8300 Dimension (2003) with XP.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, how can I fix this and get on with my project? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Even though it is happening with VMS9, it may be a Windows issue, too. I would Google "mcmpgvdec.dll" and see what the heck it is in the first place. When I Googled it I got tons of hits for Vegas Pro 8.

Then, the next time VMS9 crashes, note the exact time and then check your event log for that exact time and see what is happening.

Just in case, to get to your event log: Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer.

It could be anything at this point from a corrupt .dll that only MS9 uses to another corrupt file that is part of Windows that MS9 needs...

Thanks a ton for the advice. I really appreciate the help! I'll give it a go and see what I can find out.

Blog Entries

It wont be a ram thing - I use vegas in 2 gig and run lots of apps at the same time with no prob.

As a rule vegas is very atable and not system fussy. I have had it close on me but over a period of years it is still only less than ten times ever.

Do a complete and deep virus / security scan.

Does this only occur with a particualr set of source video ?

Hmmm, OK.... wasn't sure about the amount of RAM needed.

I'll do the virus scan you suggest. I also wondered if I had a file in my timeline that was causing the prolem, since the error report did say "access violation", but I've got LOTS of files in my project, so I'm not sure how I'd
    find the culprit.

Thanks for the help!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

Does this only occur with a particualr set of source video ?
    Pay great attention to Mark's question. I, too, suspect you've got a dodgy clip or two in there.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Yea - this can happen - dodgy media will make any editor do weird stuff.

Did you shoot the videos on a camera or are they divx / xvid / or similar - if so that would be my first bet - dodgy media.

First off, thanks so much for the help folks!!!

...All video shot on a Sony Hard Disc camcorder I purchased this past summer.
    Of course, I've got pics in my project too, but I'm guessing that would not be the problem.

It's hard to do ANYTHING in the program these days without it simply disappearing off my screen unexpectedly. However, I was able to watch most of it the other day (without touching the scroll bar at all!) before it crashed again . Perhaps if I went into the source file and started moving video clips to my back-up drive ...a few clips at at time, maybe I could identify a faulty clip. I'm assuming by moving the file, it would no longer be available for Vegas Movie Studio and therefore would no longer be present in the project timeline (correct?). Of course I'd have to open the program repeatedly to see if it was once again working properly; time comsuming, but certainly worth it if it worked! I could start at the back of my project and work my way forward, since the first time it crashed was near the end of my current project. Does this sound plausible?

Blog Entries

I think it is very unlikely to be faulty media gvien they have come from your camera - as a rule it is only 'found' media that presents such problems.

We aint getting to the bottom of this yet.... I think you need to speak to a pc guru about this dll thingy.

OK, good to know. I did fire off an email to Sony Creative Software and they replied this afternoon with the following advice. I'll paste it here for all to see. Please let me know what you think of this. ...hope it's OK to stick this in here.....

Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software.

As a troubleshooting step, please disable background and start up processes according to the directions provided below.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time and you will see a list of the programs currently running (some users will have to hit the "Task Manager" button). Move over to the Processes Tab and click the "Image Name" heading at the top left of this window to view these items in alphabetical order. Close everything showing on that list except for the items listed below. To end a process, highlight it and click the End Process button at the bottom of the window.

End every process except for:

alg.exe
    ccmexec.exe
    csrss.exe
    explorer.exe
    lsass.exe
    MsPMSPSv.exe
    services.exe
    smss.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    svchost.exe (there may be more than one of these, you can leave them all running)
    System Idle Process
    System
    taskmgr.exe
    winlogon.exe
    wmiprvse.exe

You may have other Users logged into the system and displayed on this list, but make sure you log them off and close down their processes as well.
    Please disabling Startup applications and Background Services. To disable these items from starting, you can go to the Start menu and select Run. Then type msconfig into the field provided and press Enter or OK. In Windows Vista, there is a field at the bottom of the Start menu that you can type directly into.

Open the Startup tab, press the “Disable All” button and then Apply. Then go into the Services Tab, check the box next to “Hide All Microsoft Services” at the bottom of the window and choose Disable All. Then press Apply and OK and reboot the computer.

** Note: This measure is for testing purposes. If you are disabling these services, none of these services are critical for your computer to start or function. We recommend this troubleshooting step to remove as many variables from the problem as possible; though you may also be disabling desired services like anti-virus or portable device recognition services like iPod Service, etc. If this solves your issue, you may want to repeat the steps above to open the MSCONFIG dialog so that you can re-enable most of these services. You may want to spend some time re-enabling these one at a time until you find the culprit. Most likely there are just one or two services that are causing the conflict.

If you still have a follow-up question on this particular incident, please feel free to update it. If you have a completely different question, please create a new incident.

Sincerely,

Customer Service & Technical Support
    Sony Creative Software Inc
    Sony Creative Software - Vegas video - ACID & Sound Forge audio editing

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast