Thread: HDV to Vegas

1. Default HDV to Vegas

I know this is probably going to sound like a lame question but how do I get my Vegas Pro 8 - using Video Capture - to see and import the images I've recorded on my Sony HVR HD1000e in HDV1080i format?

It says on the Vegas site that it edits HD video so why is this not obvious (or am I just being a bit slow tonight?)

I've converted my ILink connection to squeeze the image and this works but is this the right way to go?

Cheers

Your right it is lame but here goes anyway....

Click on the capture button and a box should open up giving a choice of Normal DVD or DHV, if that's not there then try (I am guessing now) File import, or tools, or the Manual, it is in there under Capture....

3. Default

Thanks for the reply to my lame question - however ... it appears I ain't that lame as it gives me the option of DV or HDV as you state under the capture button but when I click on HDV it says it can't find my camera (or it's being used by another programme). How do I get over that?? (It can find it fine in the DV capture mode)

4. Default

Another lame reply. If your camera can output both DV and HDV did you make the switch so that it oputputs HDV?

I concour...

Blog Entries

( unhelpfull sniping from opinionated bored person)

Capture it in DV - it'll hardly look any different, it will be much easier to edit and heck I bet it's going to SD DVD anyway.

Mark, really, come on. It's a huge difference, including how it looks on a SD DVD.

Every bit of processing that goes on in the editing stage, is being done in a higher resolution. Once you've rendered a HDV file off that the conversion to SD gives a better result from the better source, it's only a bigger image after all. That's certainly what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    Another lame reply. If your camera can output both DV and HDV did you make the switch so that it oputputs HDV?
    It'll be in your cameras instructions. Without it being plugged in via the Firewire (you are using firewire aren't you?) and if it was shot in HDV, there will be a function in the menu somewhere that turns on or off the HDV to DV conversion. In the sales jargon they call it a 'down converter'.

Without this being switched to the right setting the camera will not be recognised by the software.
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 11-23-2008 at 12:07 AM.

Blog Entries

" It's a huge difference, including how it looks on a SD DVD. " - ... tiny ... -".

All other things being equal - tiny and much more of a faff to edit if you only want SD output. ( and i prefer crt monitors, and whole milk, huge clockwork cameras and I am thinking of joining the countryside alliance to annoy my friends ).

You look at the world through Hoya Polarisers.

Join the Rambler's association if you really want a full set .