Thread: Moving CS3premier projects

Default Moving CS3premier projects

Hello all,

Two posts in one day iam getting information greedy however this one is much more important.

Have been working on a CS3 Premiere project for months and its stands at a healthy 150gig and is now too big for my computer and I want to shift it over to an external hard drive.

Now I could be worrying about nothing, but is there anything to worry about when shifting a project, and obviously all the files linked to it .avi, .psd. Ae comps etc. etc.

Is it simply as easy as copy the whole thing , paste it somewhere else and delete the original?

Cheers for any help guys

Quote Originally Posted by Starkie View Post
    Hello all,

Two posts in one day iam getting information greedy however this one is much more important.

Have been working on a CS3 Premiere project for months and its stands at a healthy 150gig and is now too big for my computer and I want to shift it over to an external hard drive.

Now I could be worrying about nothing, but is there anything to worry about when shifting a project, and obviously all the files linked to it .avi, .psd. Ae comps etc. etc.

Is it simply as easy as copy the whole thing , paste it somewhere else and delete the original?

Cheers for any help guys
    yes it is that simple.

You might get a bit oif grief if you try to edit it elsewhere though, i.e. ona different path. You may have to relling all the source files. But you wouldn't do that on a external hard drive would you? You'd do what everyone ales does if they want to edit it again, copy it back to where it was first.

Also, consider the project management options in CS3 toi trim the project down first. It'll save you some space.

Howdi Alan, cheers for the reply

apologies for my ignorance,

when you say edit it elsewhere how do you mean. My plan was to shift the whole lot to a hard drive, delete everything off the computer and then work from the hard drive for ever with this project. or is this just not possible

Would you suggest leaving the Premiere pro project file on the main PC and have all the project componenets on the hard drive.?

I haven't dared do anything yet , ha to scared to bugger up the project

As olong as the disk you copy it to is fast enough, then no worries.

All Imeant is I;m not sure if asset paths are stored in the project file or whether the filenames are all relative. i.e. if the project file says D:\mystuff\myclip.avi and you've moved everythign to the F drive then opening the project will cause the file to be offline and you will have to relink it to the new location. Might have to do that a bundle of times.