Thread: Fighting Video

Default Fighting Video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUMirEqR3f8]YouTube - The Adventures of Peo Lickin EP 1[/ame]

Blog Entries

Wow! There's plenty here to learn.
    I'll start with a couple of basics.
    1. Use a tripod (or some other means of getting a stable shot)
    2. Learn continuity of direction. There are many examples here where your audience becomes disorientated as characters are not where you expect them to be. A classic example is around 1:50 we see the hero approaching the villain from the left, we then see the villain approaching the hero from the right. This is good! BUT then when they come together at 1:56 the villain is approaching from the right and the hero from the left. It's all wrong!
    Another example is the sequence beginning at 1:21. Because of the way it is shot it give the appearance that the villain appears from behind the tree and looks at the heros right hand side. However the hero is looking straight ahead. I was expecting him to turn to his right to see the villain.

I liked your opening titles, though I think I'd have preferred video (maybe slow mo) to the stills. Nice clean credits.

I look forward to seeing your films as they improve.
    Tim

1: For steadier shots you can use tripods. But don't think that just because the tripod has legs that it must be placed on the ground. Static shots and slow steady pans can be used with a stationary tripod, but for the MOBILE hand held shots, you can simply fold the tripod and aim it at your shot. The added weight of the tripod will help steady a lot of the camera shake. I had to learn this the hard way, and even now there where subtle nuances and tricks I am experimenting with to allow a substandard steady-cam type result.
    2: The audio tracks need mixing so the result is a more uniform overall volume level. When adding the sound effects, voice overs and music, pay attention to the volume level of the surrounding clips so as to NOT over do or under do the end result. I am still wrestling with volume issues on sound effects and music soundtrack for my videobloggs. It takes a lot of time and patience to replay a scene over and over again during editing tweaking the volumes on all the different tracks, but it's worth it in the end.
    3: Character placement is a small detail that makes a big difference when trying to keep your audience in the story. Remember there perspective of the action is only what they see from their seats, they are not there to see the surroundings in person.
    4: Body position between cuts, try and take note of the position the characters in when changing camera views, especially if your only using one camera and don't have the freedom of overlapping different angles.
    5: DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE IN, IT'S YOUR IMAGINATION SO PROVE TO THE WORLD HOW ENDLESS IT IS.

Quote Originally Posted by rgander1 View Post
    DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE IN, IT'S YOUR IMAGINATION SO PROVE TO THE WORLD HOW ENDLESS IT IS.
    Excellent advice!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber