Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a PAL HD shoot look like film?

1. Cool How to make a PAL HD shoot look like film?

Hi u experts out there...
    ...some time ago I was with a group shooting on HDv and DV....(PAL).. where the director there said something about shooting on DV tape at 24FPS and transfering onto 25FPS on Digi-beta during edit (or is that the other way around.../)to get a slightly non-crispy 'film' look on the footage.
    I just finished a proper HD music vid.(Green box with a lot of Adobe after fx and 3d b/gs).
    However the shot footage of the singer etc... looks too sharp and 'digital' on the plates.Unlike the expensive shoot that it was.
    Is there any way I can rectify this?
    Pls help.

Blog Entries

I suspect you are talking about a 16mm / 8mm film look. The res of 32mm film will rinse any dig format mortals can afford.

Hmm - not sure what you want, a ' soft ' film look ???? You want to copy the film look ???

Try bleaching out the whites a bit, add a bit of a vingnette, a smidge of guassian blurr maybe ?? Add grain.

Digital can t really be film all you can hope for is a paradoy.

This has got to be one of the oldest quests in video making, and there's any number of suggested ways to get a 'film look'

One I've used a little, which seems to give the video some 'character' at least is:

Edit your vid as normal and render it in the highest quality you can.

In a new project import that footage twice, one above the other on the timeline.

On the lower one apply an unsharp mask, tweak the settings till you get real sharp edges wihtout introiducing artifacts.

On the upper one apply gaussian blur to about 10%, and reduce opacity to 25%, adjust these to get a desirable look.

Basically this gives the film a slightly blurred look to the contrasty elements, but keeps some hard sharpness to stop it looking simply out of focus.

However, overcook it and it'll look a mess, the blur works against you. Rather like trying to use a soft focus filter on a photographic enlarger (assuming you're using negative film stock), the result is that dark elements bleed into light, whereas if you put such a filter on to the camera the light parts bleed into the dark. So something I plan to try one day is to invert the entire sequence, carry out the above, then re-render reverted to positive. All being well this should give a better look. Don't know.

The whole thing about frame rates etc I don't buy, we use 25fps here and the suggestion that 24 is going to make a difference evades me, what's more important is how that 1/25th exposure is made, film shutters work differently to optical chips, and the idea of progressive scanning sits a bit better with me, however a Canon HV20 I bought had 24p as a film look option, but was utterly crap at filming any movement, so never pursued it.

Usually what's far more important to getting a film look it seems is quality in the scene setup first, maybe a bit of colour de-sat in some circumstances can help too.

This tutorial: Creating Digital Cinema : Adobe After Effects Tutorial gives some hints for giving a more 'filmic' look to DV footage.

A lot of people point to depth of field as being one of the big differentiators between film cameras and video cameras (video cameras with their tiny CCD/CMOS chips have a massive DOF even in low light, whereas 35mm even under quite bright lights with the stock commonly used to minimise grain has a pretty shallow DOF) Hence the proliferation of DOF adapters - But while I admit that DOF has a big part to play in cinematic filming, good lighting and good camera angles are probably the most important elements. And that probably takes a lifetime to learn.

If it were easy, we'd all be doing it wouldn't we?

5. Default

hya and thanks for the advice.
    Any tutorial site/ camera angles etc hints would always help better the craft.
    The after effects tut is a good link.
    Thanks again.
    A.

6. Default

ty for the idea.Will try bleaching ...

7. Default

wow ..thats some process study...
    Will try the double render idea...
    TY

Blog Entries

Also you can get a plug in called ' magic bullet ' that claims to process your video to ape certain film looks. I find it a bit heavy handed and the render times are very slow but it does what it says on the tin.

9. Default

U can also try reducing the speed of the clip in premiere pro u can do dat by reducing the time percentage from 100% to say 80% u can try different percentages and u shud get that film type look worked with my video but i dint use HD cam so Quality was drastically reduced.. try this and hopefully u'll get wat u want..
    CHEERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pushki123 View Post
    U can also try reducing the speed of the clip in premiere pro u can do dat by reducing the time percentage from 100% to say 80% u can try different percentages and u shud get that film type look worked with my video but i dint use HD cam so Quality was drastically reduced.. try this and hopefully u'll get wat u want..
    CHEERS!!!
    Not wishing to say you're wrong, but... er what has speeding up a clip going to do to make it look more film like (unless it's an homage to the keystone kops, of course)

WARNING: PEDANT MODE ENGAGED!

By the way... It's You, That, Should, Didn't, You'll and what

PEDANT MODE OFF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast