Thread: Best of the two? GeForce GTX260 or 280?

Question Best of the two? GeForce GTX260 or 280?

Hello - anyone got an opinion on the above? Or perhaps there's a better card I should be looking at for my father who uses his PC for editing video using Studio 11 and Liquid 6?

NB: Gaming is not what he needs a top performing card for, it is literally for any benefits in terms of speed on the above applications (and probably their sucessors, as he does like to upgrade occasionally)

His current spec is GeForce 6600. Current processor is AMD Athlon 64 3500+ but looking to rebuild with a Phenom Quad processor very soon, so it makes sense to look at the graphics spec.

In terms of OS, he is an XP user and not moving to Vista at this time. Memory is 1GB now, but looking to go to 4GB when re-building.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hank

If it's not for gaming, but editing only you should look into the nvidia quadro series.

gxt280 is way faster btw

Blog Entries

Unless the docs with the app specifically say otherwise grphics cards are irrlelevant for video work. Only a basic one is needed - mine cost 30

Im still using Geforce because my cpu has built in video card.

- sheena of ichatfilipina -
    Last edited by ichatfilipina; 01-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Unless the docs with the app specifically say otherwise grphics cards are irrlelevant for video work. Only a basic one is needed - mine cost 30
    Due to the unified shader architecture of the new series directx10 cards it will be just a matter of time before we have hardware-accelerated video-editing on high end cards.

Some time ago I came accross some tool that enabled video-rendering (avi to mpeg2) on nvidia 8800gtx, taking full potential of the card's gpu and memory.

I just can't seem to find it now

Blog Entries

" Some time ago I came accross some tool that enabled video-rendering (avi to mpeg2) on nvidia 8800gtx, taking full potential of the card's gpu and memory. "

This has been mumbled about for 5 years at least - it was probably ' wish wares ' .

I suspect this may happen if chip makers can agree some rules. I think this may be beginning to happen. If it is to work across app and chip and os it really is going to need some work i would think to get it right.

Some newer ATI cards can run avivo, the video encoding / conversion tool that uses the ATI GPU.

[OC]ModShop - Accelerate Video Conversion with your video card's GPU: ATI's AVIVO Video Converter Utility

ATI AVIVO. Part 1: Video Encode

I found some reading for you

OK, utterly naive newb question here and a complete hi-jack/old-thread resurrection, BUT.... will either of the inquired video cards actually help in any way with video editing?

The reason i'm so interested is b/c i'm putting together a PC for multi-faceted duty.... Some for video/photography editing and able to run fast enough for a no-lag gaming experience. Also, the standard Office applications like Powerpoint, etc...

Are the Quadro series cards fast enough to run a PC game (Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142) with all the eye-candy?

I have in mind the following:

PSU: Thermaltake 1,000 watt
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @2.66 GHz
    MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58
    RAM: 6GB (2GB x3) DDR3 1600MHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX295 1.7GB 16x PCIe
    HDD1: RAID (0) 1TB (500GB x2) SATA-II 3Gb/s, 16MB cache 7200rpm
    HDD2: 1TB SATA-II 3Gb/s, 32MB cache 7200rpm

Thanks,

Well thanks for anything except flaming!

frank

Quote Originally Posted by fmajor007 View Post
    The reason i'm so interested is b/c i'm putting together a PC for multi-faceted duty.... Some for video/photography editing and able to run fast enough for a no-lag gaming experience. Also, the standard Office applications like Powerpoint, etc...
    No-lag gaming experience starts with a high end videocard.

Are the Quadro series cards fast enough to run a PC game (Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142) with all the eye-candy?
    Quadro series don't give game-performance.

I have in mind the following:

PSU: Thermaltake 1,000 watt
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @2.66 GHz
    MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58
    RAM: 6GB (2GB x3) DDR3 1600MHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX295 1.7GB 16x PCIe
    HDD1: RAID (0) 1TB (500GB x2) SATA-II 3Gb/s, 16MB cache 7200rpm
    HDD2: 1TB SATA-II 3Gb/s, 32MB cache 7200rpm

Thanks,

Well thanks for anything except flaming!

frank
    That should be a very good gaming system and give you no trouble with video-editing. There's just 1 thing I wonder about.
    3x2GB
    Allways go for a paired memory setup. 2 x 2GB or 4 x 2GB will enable dual-channel mode for the memory (makes it almost twice as fast). 3 x 2GB will disable dual channel mode.

I gues the RAM is a triple channel RAM set-up from what the specs and the configuring site said. I'm going from their menu-driven selections...