Thread: Stills in timeline Prem Pro 2

1. Default Stills in timeline Prem Pro 2

Hello All.

I'm new to this site and enjoying picking up info/tips etc. so thanks so far.

When I used Prem Pro 1.5, I edited a video with some importing of stills and found that in the timeline monitor the images would be too big (zoomed in), so with lots of fishing around, I'm sure I found the dreaded check/uncheck box that made life easier, inserting the stills at the correct required size.
    But now in Prem Pro 2, I have come accross the same problem, but this time I cannot work out how I managed it in 1.5, so for now each still has to be manually fiddled with for it to show correctly in the time line. Can anyone tell me if this is the way it has to be done or if it can be done in a more simple way?

Regards
    Bazza

I don't know of any auto sizing thingy within Premier, but do find that stills should be processed in a bitmap editor first, this could include resizing them.

I say this becasue re-sizing in any form has to be done a certain way to retain image quality, a lot depends on the orginal size of course, but up or down, being able to control the images with the benefit of Photoshop, or I use Paintshop Pro, is a sensible way at least. Just resize according to the settings you're using in Premier. Sharpness is a classic thing that has to be recovered when reducing bitmaps for instance.

Be wary of aspect ratio though, if you're using widescreen especially then this must be taken into account. It's easier to just resize one dimension, width usually, and allow the height to follow that automatically, using 'maintain aspect ratio' in the bitmap editor's resizing function.

Agreed! Resize your photos before you bring them into Premiere. It eases the processing load of your premiere timeline by loads. Certainly be aware that there has been many a failure to render a timeline in Premiere purely because the still images on it are too big in dimensions.

No need tomake the photos exactly the same size as your timeline. Make them bigger by all means but best to only make them as big as you actually neede. i.e. add 10% maybe for some subtle pans and zooms.