Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas 9 will not import audio of MPEG file

Default Sony Vegas 9 will not import audio of MPEG file

Hi all -- very new to video editing.

I took some video with my sony camcorder, saved it to my computer, played it in Windows Media PLayer and all is good. I pulled it into Vegas and the audio is not showing up nor can I hear anything. Any tips for this newbie?

Michael

Blog Entries

What format does your camcorder record in? You said MPEG but more, more, more details required. (What cam might help) And How exactly did you "pull" it in?
    Tim

sorry...i'm the new members,and i just wanna really need help...
    i'm working on sony vegas 9,,,,and i don't know why MPEG file can't have sound at sony vegas 9,,,,why,,???need help please.....
    thx all....
    kentank

Quote Originally Posted by Britopian View Post
    Hi all -- very new to video editing.

I took some video with my sony camcorder, saved it to my computer, played it in Windows Media PLayer and all is good. I pulled it into Vegas and the audio is not showing up nor can I hear anything. Any tips for this newbie?

Michael
    I've quoted Britopian because all of the above information applies to me as well, with the exception of the sony camcorder. Here is my dilemma.

My camera is the JVC GZ-MG155U HDD camera. As you all know these video's are saved as mod files. I was unable to get Sony Vegas 9 to capture the video directly from the camera so I connected the camera via usb and copied the mod and moi files to the hard drive.

After a bit of online research I decieded to use the free SDcopy app to convert my mod files to mpeg. I also checked the 16x9 tick box so the conversion would keep the widescreen format the video was recorded in.

After conversion I can open these mpeg files in Windows movie maker and they open in the correct widescreen format with the proper audio. All seems well.

The problem is if I use Sony Vegas 9 with the same mpeg file that worked in win Movie Maker I get no audio with the file. I've imported the file, dragged the file to the timeline but no sound. The video portion is fine.

I am brand new to Sony Vegas so I assume there is an option or setting I am missing but I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it.

Being new to this I welcome almost any response that you think might help except a question about my speakers... Yes they are turned on!

Thanks

Blog Entries

I suspect the abvoe probelms are due to a missing codec.
    Codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The easiest way to ( usually) fix this is to d load and install this -
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download Nimo Codec Pack 5.0 build 9 B1 : You have here ALL YOU NEED to play DivX movies in perfect conditions using Nimo Codec Pack 5.0 build 9 B1

Come on back y' hear if that dont make your shizzle fizzle.

So I downloaded and installed the Nimo codec pack as suggested and it didn't solve the issue. There was an option to customize the install and some boxes were checked, others wern't is it possible one that was needed was not installed?

Do I need to change any of the options from the menu, such as ignore 3rd party codecs, or use microsoft codecs (although I think I have tried all of these settings)?

Again these files will open with working audio and video with Window Movie Maker, or directly from windows media player.

I guess this means there is no fizzle in my shizzle

Not sure why you're not getting audio, but I have a Sony camera which produces mpeg video/audio and have been using Sony Vegas Movie Studio version 6 very successfully.

I recently upgraded to version 9 and none of my version 6 projects will open. Also I am unable to create projects in version 9 with lots of MPEG video, it crashes (on a top spec machine). Everything that crashes in 9 works fine in 6.

I contact Sony support and they were unable to resolve it (in fact they were quite useless), they say it is not recommended to edit MPEG on the timeline, best bet is to transcode to something else.

The fact that version 6 works better than 9 means I got a refund. So if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, and their support center can't help, get yourself a refund, then find version 6 somewhere cheap.

I have gone back to version 6 and I am having no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps a little.

Hey i found a way to solve it. it does not involve any codecs.

use a video converter to convert your mpeg to avi format. when you drag your .avi file into sony vegas 9, you will only get its sound but no video.

open a new window of sony vegas 9, and drag both files into it. you will have both the sound and the video

Hey, I had this problem too. And seeing as my footage came from a Sony HDD Camera it seemed strange that they were incompatible. However I have found a solution. Open Vegas, go to Help, Sony on the web and then updates.

Download and install the update (9.0b) and try and add the footage to the timeline again. You should now have sound.

I have the same problem. I have a Sony camera as well. No audio when I load the mpeg into the project.

I downloaded 9.0b build 66. When I clicked on "import media" then clicked on the mpeg file, the program nuked itself--Sony Vegas just shuts down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
    Last edited by David Kirkham; 02-07-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast