Thread: Easing into the Slo-Mo Effect

Lightbulb Easing into the Slo-Mo Effect

Hey everyone

im cutting together a bunch of clips from FarCry2, and i want to go into slow motion.

now i know i can right click on the clip, and adjust the speed, but the effect is very "instant" and not appealing.
    I checked ot this "time warp" video effect, and while i got the slow motion i was looking for, audio remained unaffected.

So whats a good technique here to ease into slowmo while bringing the audio with me?

Interesting.

So far I can only find one way, cutting out individual frames and applying a speed/duration setting to each.

This one was done using 5% drops in speed on each subsequent frame, so it would be smoother with narrower steps, but then it ill take longer, depends what you're looking for.

Time/Audio slow down

So it is definitely going to be manual work then, theres no little tool or special effect to get that effect across eh?

thats a bummer but at least i know its the only way

Well there might be, I'm just not aware of it. At the end of the day this is something that could be written into a plugin. Perhaps it's in After Effects or Bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
    Well there might be, I'm just not aware of it. At the end of the day this is something that could be written into a plugin. Perhaps it's in After Effects or Bullet.
    Any idea on if Vegas has something like this?

Thumbs down

No mate, others here might, I've never got on with Vegas, or at least had the chance to, my demo timed out before I could get to grips with it, and I can't re-install the demo.

heh last thing i wanna do is cut and chop in After Effects, especially when im tyring to synch with audio...

Just picked up on this thread so sorry for the late reply.

I'm presuming your talking about Premiere Pro here but which version. Any version before CS3 and you cannot do what you want. From CS3 onwards you need to look at the 'time warp' functioin you already mentioned. Hmmm, come to think of you must be using CS3 or later then eh? d'oh!

Just read up on it. It can do it, trust me. The time warp effect/feature in Prmeiere Pro CS3 is (supposed to be) the exact same tiem warp engine as is in After Effect CS3 so you certainly can;t gain from jumping inot AE in this instance.

Pop across and watch this video tutorial. Done in AE but it's the same engine. You may not have the graphing capabilities in Premiere but it should translate.

VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production

Also worth watchign is

VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production

Basically in time warp you set two keyframes and then just drag them apart to slow stuff down. Apply bezier curves to the keyframes and you get a gradual slowdown. Once you get it once it's easy enough.

Blog Entries

"Any idea on if Vegas has something like this?" - Rubber band - yes. V env sound - no.