Thread: Upgrading USA software in the UK.....

Default Upgrading USA software in the UK.....

Well, this is a bit of a weird question....

I have Premiere Pro - Version 7. Encore Version 1.0.0.38189, and After Effects Version Version 6. Obviously all are proper, registered products.

Here's the rub - All were bought off e-bay, are a lot lower price. They are all US versions of the software (which seems to be identical).

I called up Adobe in the UK to arrange to upgrade all three products to the latest versions, and was told that I couldn't do this as the UK updates won't work on Adobe software with US serial numbers. Customers services were no help at all!

So then I e-mail the US support centre, and guess what - they will not send the updates to an address out of the US....

Looks like I'm buggered. I had no idea about the regionalised serial numbers....

Anybody else got any ideas - Looks like my money isn't good enough for Adobe....

Blog Entries

You could try pruchasing the update from the US online download store. If it only works on US IP addresses, you could spoof IE into thinking you're from the States by using a proxy server.

Alternatively, buy it from an online store in the states and get it shipped to the UK. Just checked on amazon and it says it will only ship to the US though. I'm sure you could find a suitably accomodating store.

Or, maybe get one of the guys here to act as a 'forwarding service'? Or perhaps go back to the original vendor on ebay... maybe he has a source from the states?

I suppose the question really is, are the updates worth it? This is gonna be a lot of hassle...

Blog Entries

From 1.0 to 1.5? Not really tbh. Might as well put off your hassle till the next full update rather than point release.

BTW - The adobe USA support said that the download from the US support wouldn't work as I was based in the UK.... don't know why....?!

If you pay by credit card they would surely check the card holder's address (and it won't authorise if you spoof that).

I doubt any online store would contravene the retail licensing agreement and sell to anyone outside of the US. That would be the last time they'd see an Adobe product on their shelves.

However, Marc's suggestion that one of the US guys here acts as a forwarding service is a good one. Be mindful of the fact that you will be liable to import duty and VAT on the total goods (including shipping and any insurance), although I guess it wouldn't be much for this anyway.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Unless you mark it as a gift/declare the price as (insert amount) mwahahahaha.

RIGHT! I've tried downloading from the US store - get as far as the payment side of things, and then it kindly tells me that the downloads are only available to North America.

I've also tried two Adobe dealers in the US - both say they cannot sell US stock to Europe

I guess they don't want my cash!

I must confess that I haven't studies it to this details but have you read all the way through the licence agreement that came with your previous copy. Does it say that the licence is not transferable across continents?

This all seems very straneg to me. You bought a legit copy in the US, later moved to the UK and because of this find yourseld not eligible for the 'standard' upgrade routes.

Unless this is specifically disallowed in your previous agreement then you must be able to upgrade in the normal way. Have you actually spoken to anyone at Adobe UK or just recieved automated messages from web sites. If you speak to them then ask them specifically which part of your licence diallows update.

Other than that then you are left with oen real option and that is to find a trusted mate or family member in the US to act as a 'broker'.

If that fails then then I'm at a loss.