Thread: My first major project

Default My first major project

My school thinks I have a talent for video producing and editing and think it would be a good career for me. After speaking to the careers advisor in my school today I found I'm on the right track.

My school wants me to make a video entitled: 'A year at Calday Grange' and collect clips from the highlights of the year. I will be starting this project after I get a new camcorder for Christmas.

Now obviously I can't put clips from all the main events because that would take too long. But I can work out what footage to put in.

The point of this thread is just to ask, when there is no main events on, what sort of footage do you think my teachers will be looking for?

Blog Entries

Aren't "main events" and "highlights" one and the same? If not could you define what you mean by each.
    Why don't you ask you teachers what they want rather than ask us to guess?
    And your comment "Now obviously I can't put clips from all the main events because that would take too long." - presumably you mean you don't have a year in which to collect footage. If so, try the following to cover events that have already taken place.....
    (a) Interview people who were involved. What do they remember? How did they feel at the time? Have their opinions changed since?
    (b) Use relevant footage behind narration/interviews to add some feeling of "being there". For example, for a school drama production use arty shos of the stage, some props, scenery, make up, stage lights, sound console or for a sports day show track, equipment, trophies. And don't forget you can always scan in and use still photographs taken at the event.
    (c) CHEAT! Stage reconstructions - you're creating a film about the year. It's perfectly legitimate to use footage that illustrates an event - no-one said you have to use actual footage.

Hope this helps....
    Tim

Blog Entries

Not sure i get the question ' when there are no main events on.... '

Well, if the film is to be a pastiche of ' events ' - arent you only going to film 'events' ? Personally I think a compilation of what the teachers think is intersting would be dull and a typically numpty thing that teachers would suggest.

As a film maker the first and most important skill is picking your subject and audience. The best factual / doumentary films are those with a bit of drama, contention, argument, may be funny, contain shocking new revelations and so on.

Why not be a journalist with that camera 'cos really any mook can film concerts and juble sales and sports days and yawn yawn.

To be a good film it has to be your idea and you have to feel passionate about it. A school is a melting pot of contentious topics, gossip and intrigue - there must be a better film to be made than bloody carol services, award ceramonies, school trips - yawn yawn.

But be careful - film is a powerful medium....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ...Why not be a journalist with that camera 'cos really any mook can film concerts and juble sales and sports days and yawn yawn....

But be careful - film is a powerful medium....
    Absolutely nail on the head. A 'journalistic' approach would make a great film at the end of the year, and as Mark says not just a dull movie of events. Get the drama's that happen through the year... feature the characters (every school has a few), the playground bullying, the teachers unguarded moments...

Keep that camera with you 24/7 and record everything....

Blog Entries

Hell yea Andy - I was just thinking of the mad things that happened at our school - it really is a superb oppertunity for a film, and to get yourself explled if not careful - walk that line !

Thanks for the tips guys