Thread: Camera not working with PC.

Default Camera not working with PC.

I have a JVC GR-DVL160EK, and I decided to make some test footage for me to edit - I filmed it no problems, but once I plug it in, the PC detects it, but during capture on Adobe Premiere, the preview stops, and upon cancellation, it says frames were dropped.
    I then have to replug my camera in for my PC to detect it - only to get the same problem again!

I am using Windows XP, and the same problem occurs whilst using Windows Movie Maker.

Any ideas?

If it happens no matter the s/w then you can discount that as the problem I'm guessing.

This leaves either the camera and how it recorded the footage or how the footage is being transferred.

So, does the footage play back ok on camera?

How are you connecting the camera to the PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    If it happens no matter the s/w then you can discount that as the problem I'm guessing.

This leaves either the camera and how it recorded the footage or how the footage is being transferred.

So, does the footage play back ok on camera?

How are you connecting the camera to the PC?
    The video plays absolutely fine on the camera - with no errors. During capture, after being notified of the error, it still continues playing well on the built-in monitor of the camera.

I'm connecting to the PC via a Firewire connection at the back of my PC.

Are you capturing to a laptop or desktop computer? If it is a laptop then the hard disk may not be fast enough to keep up with the amount of data coming in on the Firewire cable. Unless you have a dedicated hard disk on your laptop to capture video then it might be running at 5,400rpm instead of the minimum 7,200rpm which is recommended for SD video capture.

When did you last defragment the hard disk, you need to do it a lot more often when working with video as this is one of the main causes of frame drops. Also delete unnecessary files and disable screensavers, anti virus software and anything else that is running or starts to run during the capture process. You might try a different Firewire cable aswell to see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Are you capturing to a laptop or desktop computer? If it is a laptop then the hard disk may not be fast enough to keep up with the amount of data coming in on the Firewire cable. Unless you have a dedicated hard disk on your laptop to capture video then it might be running at 5,400rpm instead of the minimum 7,200rpm which is recommended for SD video capture.

When did you last defragment the hard disk, you need to do it a lot more often when working with video as this is one of the main causes of frame drops. Also delete unnecessary files and disable screensavers, anti virus software and anything else that is running or starts to run during the capture process. You might try a different Firewire cable aswell to see if that makes a difference.
    I'm using a desktop.

I haven't defragged the PC in a long time - I'll try doing that, and then give it another shot.
    Failing that, I should have a spare firewire cable somewhere - so I'll give that a try too.