Thread: Recommended Windows Movie Maker replacement?

Default Recommended Windows Movie Maker replacement?

hi all, sorry this has probably been asked a million times but couldnt find a suitable thread on it...

I used Windows Movie Maker the other day for my brothers wedding. I thought the video ended up great so want to do some more. Except there were quite a few things buggy with WMM. Preview not working, "flickering" at start to the movie i couldnt fix, only one slideshow of images possible, not very good menu system. Could probably go on.

So i am happy to purchase something along the lines of this, but dont want to spend loads on a top end system. About 50 max is a good amount. I just need it for home video making. So importing clips, arranging on a timeline, adding music, adding multiple slideshows and then adding good menus. Basic stuff I would have thought. Oh, I had some Roxio stuff on my Dell PC but didn't think it was up to much, couldn't figure out some things.

I did some research an purchased MyDVD Premier 10 by Roxio. Reviews made it look quite good. After I installed it it wouldnt work, I kept getting pop up errors tryng to keep installing something. Re-install after re-install and still didnt work. Their support is non-existant. After I bought it I could see many others online with the same issue. So have applied for a refund.

So to make a long story short (too late), can anyone recommend good/suitable software for what I want within the above price (that works)?

Thank you!

Blog Entries

Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - links

Vegas rules in my unhumble opinion.

Thanks Mark. I did see those links, but as they just go their websites it doesnt really tell me if they are recommended or good replacements for WMM. Also, many of these sites seem to have a few versions of software so I dont know which is the best one for me. For example, Vegas has quite a few version. Which one would be a good WMM replacement, I assume Vegas Movie Studio 9?

At least they have a free trial I can try. Roxio do not do free trials, but I thought the reviews were good enough. I wont get one without a free trial again!

Thanks

Download a few 30 day trials of the editors listed on this forum and see which one you like best and runs best on your computer, as everyone has their own favourite. Mine being Adobe Premiere Pro, you can also get the cut down version as in Adobe Premiere Elements 7, you can get it and Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 from Amazon for $120.