Thread: Audio track issues when exporting

Default Audio track issues when exporting

I always get a "popping" or "clicking" sound over my films when I export with a music track (vocal tracks always sound ok). I'm a bit of an audio luddite, and I'm not compressing the audio when I compress the video on exporting.

Typical settings for exporting for Premiere 6.5 are:

VIDEO: Compressor - H.263; Data rate - 8000k/sec; Frame Rate - 25fps
    AUDIO: Rate - 32000Hz; Format - 16 Bit Stereo; Uncompressed

This is a massive problem for me right now, and I'd be really appreciative of any guidance.

Phil.

Is the popping occurring during what's called 'transients'? Where the sound amplitude peaks enormously?

I asked because I found I was having a similiar problem on a former machine, it was found to be due to audio clipping (where the sound wave has it's peaks clipped off through reaching the systems limits). The solution for me was to neutralise a software graphic equaliser the sound card had. In an ideal world recordings should be 'flat' with no cut or boost of any given frequencies. I was compensating for the speakers I was using, with some bass boost, everything was fine until I played back videos, where for some reason they clipped out.

At a simpler level, check your source level settings in the Control Panel 'Sounds and Audio Devices' section, use 'Advanced', if you have a graphic, turn it off or neutralise it.

Finally check your mixer settings in Premiere, watch the meters on the right hand side during playback, if they hit the red, that's a problem. Slightly above 0db is usually best, this will give you the best signal to noise ratio. Either adjust the 'masters', or the individual channels to bring it down if it's peaking out.

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. Does the File Format matter? I'm using Mp3 files which Band's send me - usually circa 8-10Mbs so the files are large.

Maybe watch one of my films are share my annoyances....

www.loosefilms.com click on "Films" and click the first film on Hawaii (track starts after about 10 seconds).

Good to hear I'm not alone!!!

If the files sound fine normally, but kick off when rendered in a video, I'm as confident as I can be that it's a settings change that's needed. There will be a dedicated 'Wave/MP3' volume slider in the control panel mixer for you to play with.

Watching vid now

Can you send me that audio file? There's something else going on there, it's not transient related on the surface. Am I right in assuming the sound is the same before upload?

I'll PM you my email addy, I'm a former sound engineer btw if it helps.

EDIT Nice video btw, I had to give up surfing after having to be rescued in a rip at Constantine, frightened me :-(
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 11-11-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Dude - that is baaadddddd as in not good - doesnt sound like anything familiar to me - shall ponder.

Nice film and I just love the site - makes me realise i gotta sort mine out.

Loose Films,

I've popped you a return email with a link to the results of a re-render using the track you sent. Let me know how it goes for you.

Cheers, Jerry. Certainly looks like you went to a lot of effort on that, which is much appreciated. I'll check out the findings this evening... fingers crossed!