Thread: The right camcorder for Adobe CS3

Default The right camcorder for Adobe CS3

Just bought ans intalled CS3 - never used that yet.

Now in the process of choosing the right camcorder. Wish to do 'serious half-pro' for web posts.

I read that CS3 cannot edit AVCHD format - that it will downgrade to standard. Does it mean a big loss ?

I was considering Canon HG10 but it does not do anything else than AVCHD. Thenm there's the SONY SR45 - not HD though.

I would have wished the best of both worlds: a HD capable cam that can also do Standard recording. So, my external setup can evolve later and still have use of it. On he other hand, I read HDV is using a media rather than HDD which seems more convenient.

I have my old Mini DV tape based that is a PITA to transfer to PC - USB was not the way to fo in 2001...

Any recommendation or advice ? I am new to these HDD - AVCHD - HDV formats and wish to have something 'decent' (not fully pro), affordable (not expensive). Easy to send to PC and use with software for editing and burning and converting. Using external audio (not what's being recorded - at least not all the times. I am puzzled here...

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

If you have Premiere CS3 then you will also have OnLocation. Forget tapes and the like and capture straight top you PC or laptop in the highest def you can and edit straight from that.

First and most important, how much can you afford?

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Respectfully, I would argue that the first question to ask is what features do you need in a camera. Then worry about whether you can afford it. I feel (as happened to me) that if you buy a lesewer camera than you really want or need you'll only be buying a new one just as soon as you CAN afford it. Save yourself some money and just save a little longer for the right camera and just get it a little later.

Spend some time in shop. Real shops I mean, not Currys or Dixons and the like. People that know what they are talking about. Ot hang on a couple of months and make sure you pop along to Broadcast Video Expo: 17 - 19 February 2009, Earls Court 2 London and get the real lo-down on everything. You'll walk out of there knowing what you want.

edit: of course you'll tell me you're not in the UK now won't you? lol

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, in my personal experience (personally and with friends) money is always the top reason. If you based it on features, who does not want the most useful features? Who wouldn't want a BMW or Mercedes (just an example)... but you only have money for a Ford Focus or a Kia.

Actually it may take longer saving little by little than get what you can afford, work the camera (meaning shooting events, weddings, whatever) Then that camera will produce for the best one (sadly it does not happen the same with cars :P )

However, it would be wise to use your suggestion combined with budget. Here is a new suggestion:

- Know how much you can afford, including but not limited to small loans from parents
    - Write down the features you want or need in a camera BUT write it in order of importance.
    - Based on your budget try to get the best deal possible and sacrifice the features less important to you.

Two things I may add. Most pro-sumer cameras retain their value for a long period of time, so if your camera doesn't do it for you, you can sell them. Back in 99 I got a Cannon XL1, in a few month the camera paid itself, after that it was pure profit. I got it from $3000. Then in 2002 I sold it on ebay for $2,600. Later I got a Panasonic AGDVX100B for $3,800 on ebay (I don't recommend buying cameras from ebay unless you are confident is not a bait and switch company).... Anyway, in 2006 I sold the Panasonic for $3,200... The loss was minimal considering the years of use.

Lastly, at the end of the day, it not necessarily the camera but the quality of your work. I have seen horrible stuff shot on expensive-as-hell cameras, and I have seem professional looking material shot on VHS.....yes! VHS (of course not that I'm recommending that).

So, know what you want, get as much money as possible and search for a good deal based on what you can afford.

Blog Entries

I've got to go with Alan on this one. Most important is what you want it do do, what features etc. The money side can be sorted out once you know what you need it for.

If money's no object then he could go an buy a Thomson Viper with a set of Arri Prime lenses only to find out that it doesn't have autofocus, autowhite or even record sound! So, first find out what you want the camcorder to achieve, then work out how you're going to pay for it.

As for Broadcast Video Expo, great idea, you can try, play and ask from all sorts of manufacturers and there are some absolutely ace seminars going on...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 11-13-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Good point - more expensive camera usually means less features. That is why i have a huge pro cam and a tiny cam - they do very different jobs.

As for ' who wouldnt want a mercedes ' - well perhaps you say more about yourself there than other people....

And cars are not purchased for waht they do, they are vulgar status symbols, merely inicators of status and penis size. A merc wont go from a to b faster or in any way better than a ford focus.
    Buying a camera is like buying a tool - it has to be right for the job.
    Last edited by Mark W; 11-13-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

I'm just speaking from experience. My story is that I was interesting in video so spent abotu 500 a few years on what I thought was a half decent camcorder. I was right. It was and still is half decent. The problem was that only a few months after buying it I had outgrown it in many ways. I needed more control and better picture quality etc... And so less than a year later was splashing over 2K for my current camera. It does all I want of it.

I don't really regret the first camera though. I still use it for stuff but in some ways it was not the correct purchase.

My real point though, is to maybe wait a little longer (for saving if necessary) and get somethign you will not outgrow too soon. That's all.

Hey Mark:

Thankfully we have agreed in some other areas, for what I feel more comfortable disagreeing with you. First let me say that my comments are based on the need of the guy who is asking for advice. His closing line is very simple:

"wish to have something 'decent' (not fully pro), affordable (not expensive)"

He is not asking us what are your opinion based on what we think, he wants to advice based on what he needs:

"wish to have something 'decent' (not fully pro), affordable (not expensive)"

Now, if find your comments on the "Mercedes BMW" subject to be a bit off and it is because you are assuming my personality based on one comment. I don't blame you for that, but for someone who post a lot, it should be understandable by now that forums, chats and emails are impersonal tools that do not reflect emotions.

I graduated in advertising and I know branding and the psychology behind it. I can even go "conspirational" on the subject I don't buy stuff based on brand, but how it perform as a tool. Even worse, my wife graduated with the same degree... Why is worse? we don't see TV, brands, ads as most people do... we try to look for the "lie" or "trick". Family members "hate us" because we always have a comment...

Anyway, back to my point...

I never had BMW or Mercedes, but I have family members who have. These people have keep their car for 10 to 15 years and yet, the cars are still comfortable. stable, reliable. I have seem cars breaking down with will 5 years of life... Why? because to make a car affordable you need to cut on quality. Again, keep in mind my opinions as well as yours are based mostly on personal experience. For what I have learn a BMW (depending on the line) has more quality than a Lexus (around the same price tag)...

Is not based on the price, is not based on the logo, is it based on the performance as a tool. At the end, any car will do it, and is to take you from point A to point B.

But if you take the same concept, which is really the bases for the example, IF you only can afford a Ford Focus it would take you from A to B just like a BMW...

"Buying a camera is like buying a tool - it has to be right for the job"

Exactly!! he is his post again: "Wish to do 'serious half-pro' for web posts"

For that you don't need some fancy camera that does not record audio... I think it would be great for Rob, if we can stick to the idea of what he is looking for:

"Wish to do 'serious half-pro' for web posts"
    "something 'decent' (not fully pro), affordable (not expensive)"