Thread: New Drive Question

Default New Drive Question

I recently had a new internal HDD installed (320 GB SATA) and am wondering, is there a best way to setup my file/folder structure for optimum speed/efficiency?

The OS and all other software resides on the main drive, (80 GB IDE) the new drive at this point is simply there for storage. If I capture and save projects into the new 320 gig, will that slow things down?

thanks

Blog Entries

In my expirience I havent noticed any need to worry - modern drives are way faster than the min needed for v editing.

It is more important to have a logical file structure to avoid loosing stuff .

De frag once a month or so and dont let it get too full. Drives over 75% full get clunky and slowish sometimes.

If it's internal it'll be fine.

I set mine up as a 'Scratch drive', where I keep a minimum of the projects under way in dedicated folders, setting up the editor to keep it's project file in that directory, and the captures in a sub directory simply called that. rendered videos go to another one I call 'Movies' (for some reason ).

Once a project is finished it's then easy to delete the whole project directory after saving the rendered footage on the main drive. Rarely I'll keep captured stuff, but right now I prefer to move on and just get rid of it.

Every now and then run defrag as said, and a complete re-format.

Not sure if it's a default these days, but I was always told to format the drive in NTFS rather than FAT.

Blog Entries

yea - avoid fat32 - nasty 4 gig file limit will screw up lots of editors.

Thanks, guys.

I'm already in the habit of defraging, so that will be easy. I'll just have to set up a file structure that is easy to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjos View Post
    If I capture and save projects into the new 320 gig, will that slow things down?
    It will run optimal this way. You dont want your footage on the same drive as your harddrive.

Most harddrives meet the minimal editing specs these days. You want atleast 16mb, and 7200rpm if possible. If its internal; esata is alot faster but ide works too. But im sure you will have no problems like Mark said.