I've been asked to shoot a promo vid for work that can be put on our website, and have shot 3 tapes that I was going to edt using my copy of Vegas 6.

The tapes used are Sony MiniDV 'dv premium' (reasonable quality, I would expect?) all bought at the same time, and the work camcorder is a very basic but adequate JVC GR-D720.

The problem is this; one tape plays back fine, the others suffer to a greater or lesser degree from image breakup throughout their length, which takes the form of the image freezing usually at the left side of the frame, whilst continuing to play on the right side of the frame, and there is a pixelated border between the two. Sometimes as playback progresses there will be two or three frozen sections of images whilst the right side of the frame continues to play. During recording, the message 'use cleaning tape' flashed up several times, so I was expecting some problems, but the bit that puzzles me is that when FFing the tape, there is no problem with image braek up. Yes, the playback isn't perfect when FFing as you would expect, but I can easily see those parts of the scene which are later hidden by other frozen images when playback is at normal speed. Unfortunately I didn't have a cleaning tape with me to use when shooting the video.

To me, all this suggests that a clean and fairly complete image exists on tape, but will not playback normally for whatever reason. So, out with the cleaning tape when I got back to the office, but no joy, even after several passes. The good tape is still good, the bad tapes are still bad. But FF them and there are the images that I can't seem to get to under normal playback speed.

Does anyone think that I'll be able to rescue the footage on these tapes, or ar they heading for the bin? Is it actually a camera issue? Any thoughts gratefully received.

For info, an example of the work I've done previously can be see at: KLC School of Design - About KLC > KLC Video
Mine is the top one on the page, the others are pro. I was aiming for a souvenir of the student's time at the school, hence the 'nostalgic' treatment.