Thread: .asf problems with Vegas.

Default .asf problems with Vegas.

OK, sooo...

I have sony vegas platinum 8.
    I have a panasonic nv-gs70 mini-DV camcorder.
    I recorded to my SD card.
    I transferred to my computer.
    The files have a file extension of .asf.

Now, I have tried making my video in Windows Movie Maker, but I'm pretty sure we all know how bad that is... However, THE VIDEO WORKS in Windows Movie Maker BUT NOT IN SONY VEGAS!

And I have tried a video converter, but that did not work either.

Now, the problem is that when trying to place the .asf video files in the timeline, I just get the classic O with a \ through it. (If you need more details on that I can do that...)

I'm getting pretty dang annoyed now, and I'd like some help. I am pretty computer savvy, and I think my problem lies in my codecs. I have seen topics on .avi file codecs, but not for .asf files...

HELP?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver.E.V View Post
    Now, I have tried making my video in Windows Movie Maker, but I'm pretty sure we all know how bad that is... However, THE VIDEO WORKS in Windows Movie Maker BUT NOT IN SONY VEGAS!
    Well, that's not too surprising as .asf is, according to Wikipedia as Windows Media container.

And I have tried a video converter, but that did not work either.
    Did you try Super? And what did you try to convert it to? DV-AVI would be the best bet for editing in Vegas.
    Now, the problem is that when trying to place the .asf video files in the timeline, I just get the classic O with a \ through it. (If you need more details on that I can do that...)
    [/quote]
    Just means Sony doesn't recognise the asf file type (as I'm sure you're aware)

I'm getting pretty dang annoyed now, and I'd like some help. I am pretty computer savvy, and I think my problem lies in my codecs. I have seen topics on .avi file codecs, but not for .asf files...

HELP?
    That's because both avi and asf are containers. They contain files which are compressed using codecs. avi/asf aren't/don't use codecs themselves. It's taken me a while to get to grips with this and I'm sure I still don't understand as much as I do understand.

But Super is a great conversion utility. And get hold of GSpot as well. this will tell you the actual codecs used. (Both free)
    Tim