Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widescreen format for PC playback

Default Widescreen format for PC playback

Hi All,

I have recently downloaded the demo 30 day trial of Sony Vegas Studio 9 and have been editing some 720x576 PAL sd footage I captured recently. I'm trying to render out in a file that will show/play in a widescreen 16:9 format on a PC. Is this possible? If anyone could offer some help that would be fantastic. Cheers in advance.

Blog Entries

Yes, it's possible.
    Now tell us exactly what you're trying to do.
    What format was the footage shot in (widescreen or 4:3)?
    What type of file do you want to play back on the PC? wmv? avi? flv? mov? etc etc etc
    Tim

Tim, thanks for your reply. Yes, shot in widescreen PAL, 720x576. I'm after a reasonably good quality widescreen file, 568x320 or there abouts, type of file I'm not so concerned about. I can render out to 568x320 fine but I'm getting "bars" on either side of the frame, squashing the movie horizontally. See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

It looks to me as if something is not telling Vegas that your footage was shot in widescreen (both 4:3 and 16:9 footage are 720x576, it's the shape of the pixels that differs - the Pixel Aspect Ratio)
    My first guess is you haven't set the project properties to PAL DV Widescreen. (under File | Properties)
    Please check and report back.
    Tim

Thanks again Tim.

I have tried setting the properties to 16:9 with the appropriate pixel aspect ratio for widescreen PAL and also with it set to square without any luck. I'm beginning to think it may be a limitation of the demo/trial version, which is a pity as I would like to purchase a copy but am worried I'm still not going to be able to achieve what I want. The annoying this is, I can do this quite easily in Cyberlink's Director7 (also demo version). I'm just not so keen on the program itself due to it's limited feature set compared to Vegas.

Blog Entries

That is what you get if you do a screen grab from a DV widescreen project with 4:3 footage on the time line - your video is not shot in wide....??? But you say it is..... I dont think so....

Are you sure you shot in wide ?

7. Default

It may be that it was not shot in 'true' widescreen. For instance the Sony PD150 and 170 have a widescreen function but only have 4:3 sensors. They achieve the 'widescreen' by cropping the 4:3 image. I believe if you place that image on a true 16:9 timeline you would get a pillared result.

Blog Entries

If you want to make a 4:3 pic to 16:9 you will need to crop the top and bottom of the picture.

I suspect the other app is merely stretching the 4 : 3 to fit.

Cheers guys!

100% sure I shot in widescreen. Camera is set to 16:9 Pal in the settings. Though not sure if the camera itself has a "true" widescreen sensor or 4:3 sensor.

But saying that, if the other app. was stretching a 4:3 ratio video to fit the 16:9 format wouldn't the subject look out of proportion horizontally, which doesn't seem to be the case with the render from that app. Where as the current renders I am getting out of Vegas the subject looks too thin suggesting to me it is actually true widescreen?

It's quite possible I'm misunderstanding what you guys are saying however. The advice is much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Any chance you could run GSpot (free) on your source and post a screen grab of the source. And/or Media properties (right click on event on timeline) from within Vegas.
    Also right click on the preview window and check you've got "Match Output Aspect" (or whatever it's called) checked.
    It almost certainly ISN'T a limitation of the trial version - (at least it never has been in the past)
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast