Thread: Looking for recommendations.

Default Looking for recommendations.

Hello,

I'm looking to get into amateur filmography - it's been an interest of mine for many years, but I'm currently lacking a camera that would be worthy to use.

My main requirement with a camera is both affordability - and the ability to use an external microphone with it is a necessity. I'm not familiar with the many types of cameras nowadays - so I'm looking for an affordable camera, which allows the use of an external microphone (or heck, I'd even settle for a deathly quiet motor).

I currently own a 3 GHz Single Core processor on which I will do my editing - but shortly, I will be upgrading to a 3 GHz quadcore, so unless I'm dealing with HD-video (I haven't got enough money to get a HD camera, sadly), it should be fine.

I don't have a budget quite yet - so I cannot give any information regarding that, but I'm hoping you'd be able to recommend some models to me anyway, and I can aim to raise the amount required.

Thanks for your time,

Unconscious.

Blog Entries

I am afraid not many of us have encyclopedic knowledge of cameras - certainly not in detail.

Excellent DV cameras can be had new from as little as 150 quid - however finding a model with a mic in can be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I am afraid not many of us have encyclopedic knowledge of cameras - certainly not in detail.

Excellent DV cameras can be had new from as little as 150 quid - however finding a model with a mic in can be a pain.
    I feared as much.

The only cameras I have found with external microphones have been awfully expensive - 5000 or more, I'd be quite happy with a camera that allowed a mic to be plugged into it, in place of an actual external microphone that comes with it. I'm not sure what such a feature would be called, so I'm having trouble pinpointing what camera I need - as I'm not sure of the technical terms of the thing I'm looking for! :/

Blog Entries

They are around - mic in - just scan specs.

I know how you feel. I have been reading reviews, recommendations etc for a few weeks now and have settled for the canon xm2. 1399 from warehouse express. can take 2 XLR mic inputs with the additional shoulder (about 150 I think).

I am interested in getting into the wedding video business and have a wedding coming up which I am doing for a friend (free of charge, of course)! I am going to see howI go with the xm2 and if I ever get good enough, ungrade when I have more cash!

Quote Originally Posted by caline View Post
    I know how you feel. I have been reading reviews, recommendations etc for a few weeks now and have settled for the canon xm2. 1399 from warehouse express. can take 2 XLR mic inputs with the additional shoulder (about 150 I think).

I am interested in getting into the wedding video business and have a wedding coming up which I am doing for a friend (free of charge, of course)! I am going to see howI go with the xm2 and if I ever get good enough, ungrade when I have more cash!
    I have asked my wife for an xm2 for Xmas probably end up with new tapes for my DV instead

He he! I am asking my hubby for a microphone, thats If I ever find out whats the best one to get!! I keep asking for recommendations/suggestions but get none.

Hope you get the XM2. I reveived my yesterday, and although I haven't had much chance to play with it, initial impressions are good.

Caline

Blog Entries

no mike adivce? Keep trying - put another thread in sound section.