Thread: Crossfade transitions jumpy in preview

Cool Crossfade transitions jumpy in preview

Hi All,
    Newbie question:
    I've been using Vegas Pro 8 now for a few weeks. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 3200. 1.5 gig of ram. Seperate drives for software and projects. After editing any project and using the crossfade transiition, I noticed in preview the crossfade transitions are jumpy and NOT smooth. I've been reading a lot of forums trying to find the answer, and it seems the jumpiness can get better with a faster processor, and/or adjusting the preview quality, but the problem still exists for many.

What is the the definite answer to this? What will alleviate the problem TOTALLY where you'll get a smooth transitions in preview? It is the only complaint I have (right now) about Vegas Pro. I want to see what my project WILL look like in preview. It seems even people who have dual core boards and mighty processors STILL have this problem. Am I wrong?

To me, this is extremely frustrating. If there is a definite answer, please shout it out.

Thanx,
    JDS

Blog Entries

If you could see exactly what your rendered project would look like in the preview window, then the project would be able to render in real time.
    What I'm saying is that if a 2 sec section takes 8 secs to render, it is likely that what the preview window can achieve is at best 1 in every 4 frames at full quality, or smoother if the picture quality is reduced.

To see your transition properly in the preview windows it is necessary to render (just) that section first, either using a "Build RAM preview" or "Render to new track" or "Selectively Prerender Video" all available from the Tools Menu.

Each will render your transition. The RAM option does it in RAM (so you need enough). New track does what it says on the tin and the third option sticks a file in wherever you've set the Prerendered files location in the Project properties.

Try it. It works.
    Tim

Thanx for the reply Tim. It's just weird because I was using Pinnacle Studio 10 prior to Vegas, and Pinnacle (I'm guessing) pre-rendered while you create. When you went to preview it was smooth as silk. Just wondering why a less expensive software program like Pinnacle would be smoother than Vegas Pro in the preview area.

Blog Entries

As an ex user of Pinnacle v9, I think I'd be asking myself, would I rather have a system that requires a bit of work on my part if I want it to preview smoothly or a system which previews smoothly but crashes frequently and when you least expect it
    Tim

Very True! Though I've had pretty good luck with Pinnacle. But your point is well taken.

Blog Entries

May have been said above - preview is always like that - thats why it is called preview.

Fades always stutter - nearly all my editing is done is 'draft' with samll ram previews to check progress.

With 4 cores it will be 4 times better but it is still likely to do it.

And at least vegas WORKS - pinaccle is a numpty editor full of bugs imho - tried it once and it was hellish bad.