Thread: "Toilet scene" help needed

Default "Toilet scene" help needed

Hello videoforum users. I'm kind of new at this forum but it looks very interesting!

At the moment I'm editing a horror short-film. And there is this scene that I don't know how to edit.

download: http://aarhusparkour.dk/Toilet-scene.wmv

I do not have any more camera angels than the ones shown in the clip. And the idea of the clip is that the "monster-thing" just flash himself for a short second in the mirror. And the person looking in the mirror convinces himself that his mind are playing tricks with him.

And btw: I'm using Sony Vegas 8.0 pro. And i'm kind of a rookie at edting not totally new, but neither a pro.

Can anyone help me out with this scene? give me some ideas, effects etc.

it would be fantastic

- Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by manden View Post
    Hello videoforum users. I'm kind of new at this forum but it looks very interesting!

At the moment I'm editing a horror short-film. And there is this scene that I don't know how to edit.

download: http://aarhusparkour.dk/Toilet-scene.wmv

I do not have any more camera angels than the ones shown in the clip. And the idea of the clip is that the "monster-thing" just flash himself for a short second in the mirror. And the person looking in the mirror convinces himself that his mind are playing tricks with him.

And btw: I'm using Sony Vegas 8.0 pro. And i'm kind of a rookie at edting not totally new, but neither a pro.

Can anyone help me out with this scene? give me some ideas, effects etc.

it would be fantastic

- Jacob
    Well, I only saw one (1) camera angle, and if that is all you have, then you need to get creative. I suggest you use the cookie cutter function and make an opening the exact size of the mirror. For that second or two when the "monster-thing" flashes himself, have his picture take up the whole mirror image, not just put up in the background. You can use a flash transition to make the effect more startling. Based on what you showed us, that is the best I can suggest, not knowing more about the story.

Of course, some good dramatic music would really help that scene, a lot!
    Last edited by worddigger; 11-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Best thread title this month !

It looks almost sorted to me. Like the slow zoom. Slight light difference when cutting to monster - twek the brightness / cont should help and do a short fadein / out - a few frames - like 5 - to hide the j cut.

And make sure we get to see the film !

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Well, I only saw one (1) camera angle, and if that is all you have, then you need to get creative. I suggest you use the cookie cutter function and make an opening the exact size of the mirror. For that second or two when the "monster-thing" flashes himself, have his picture take up the whole mirror image, not just put up in the background. You can use a flash transition to make the effect more startling. Based on what you showed us, that is the best I can suggest, not knowing more about the story.

Of course, some good dramatic music would really help that scene, a lot!
    I took the liberty of downloading the toilet clip and did a down and dirty example of what I was talking about in my previous message. I didn't have a real "monster-thing" to use, so I just used a face I had handy. Of course, this would look better if I was working with your original raw files. In any case, this is just a creative suggestion to help inspire you:

The clip is rendered into a 5mb mp4 version:

http://www.johnsonimagineering.com/demos/test.mp4

I hope this is helpful.

Blog Entries

Yea - that works really well.

A dog with a scarf on - lols.