Thread: recommend radio mic for weddings?

Default recommend radio mic for weddings?

Which one do you use? Lots of different ones at varying prices but what is the most popular in the wedding videography?

Can you record good sound from a table near the subject with a tiny mic designed for attaching to someone's chest or should I opt for a different type?

Blog Entries

1. Sennheiser G2.
    2. No.
    3. yes.

Blog Entries

Ditto Guru

I have G1 & G2, and you can use the same mic that comes with the radio on the top table, it is discrete out of shot and if you clip on to the flowers no table knocks should be heard.
    The trick is the groom is just in front of the mic, FOB is next to bride, just get the best man to stand behind the couple for good pick up, also helps in nice framing (see couples reactions) and camera light stays constant on that top table.

I am now stinking rich and have three G1s and mic each speaker individually.. all is well until there are two best men...

Blog Entries

Anything more than a yard from the speaker and a lavalier is going to start to struggle and will start to sound "thin". Once you get to 4 or more feet from the speaker then you have to be looking at a hypercardiod or a short shotgun.
    There's a difference between "hearing the words" and "good sound".

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Anything more than a yard from the speaker and a lavalier is going to start to struggle and will start to sound "thin". Once you get to 4 or more feet from the speaker then you have to be looking at a hypercardiod or a short shotgun.
    There's a difference between "hearing the words" and "good sound".
    Another option is a boundary or pressure zone mic. PZM Microphones These have a great ability to get ambient speech, and can sit discretely on a table.

But really a lav mic on each person is the best solution.

Personally, I would probably use a mix of mics into a mixer and send the mixer signals to to camcorder, or even record the audio separately on a solid state recorder and combine it all in post.

Tried the PZM mic,was next to hopeless, picked up all the table noises as well, the Lav mic was much better clipped on the flowers in the middle of the table.
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 11-16-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Ditto on the boundary mic. Any bangs on the table (popular at weddings for some reason), are minor earthquakes
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club