Thread: footage is being captured in slow motion

Default footage is being captured in slow motion

When trying to capture footage from my Canon HV30, using Vegas Movie Studio 9 (sony video capture 6.0) this is what is happening--

Some of the tapes I capture from work fine, but others capture in slow motion? The tapes are identical (sony MiniDV professional) and used the exact same camera settings during filming. The only difference in the two cameras is that the one I am having trouble with was using a wide angle lense, and I don't see how that could cause this problem? I am also using the same camera settings when capturing, so I don't believe its due to camera setup.

thank you

Are you sure it's actually 'capturing' in slow motion? Is the resulting footage ok? Does a 1 minute section of footage take more than a minute to capture?

I'm not sure if it is capturing in slow motion. In the preview window and in the camera LCD view, it shows slow motion. When I'm not connected via firewire, the camera view looks fine.

The resulting footage is ok, and yes, a 1 minute section of captured footage results in a much shorter clip.

I just found out that the tapes I am having trouble were shot with a different camera setting. His setting were such, that he only got 40 minutes of recorded footage for each 60 minute tape. I would imagine that must have something to do with it?

thanks

Well I guess if the capturing is 50% slower than normal then yes, it's recorded 40 mins of action over 60 mins of tape, therefore stretched out, the tape was running faster, probably a quality setting, as faster running tape premits more accurate data recording normally. The time code on the tape would tell the comp what the true speed should be, hence it's fine in playback.

All speculation, but sounds right.

the tape was running faster, probably a quality setting, as faster running tape premits more accurate data recording normally. The time code on the tape would tell the comp what the true speed should be, hence it's fine in playback.
    You are correct, the camerman said it was for quality reasons. However, I'm still at a loss as to how I can capture this footage? Any suggestions?

Well, as you say the resulting footage is ok then I guess it's just going to take you longer.

Well, I did say the footage was ok. However, I just put what showed to be a 20 second clip into the timeline and it was only 1/2 second in length. Something is definately wrong here. I'll have to keep digging because this is unacceptable.

thanks

Is there anything in the camera that says it has to be set to playback in the same quality setup? And what about the software, have you tried another program?
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 11-09-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Got it.

Your friend is a mistaken - he has recorded in DVCAM format. Tis is exactly the same as DV but the tape runs faster.

It DOES NOT give better quality.

It was developed to ease problems with tapes playing in different cameras and is said to be more robust ot rough handling.

You need your frineds cam to capture - and some sony dv cams can do dvcam playing.

Easy done - happened to me once years back.

Thanks, Mark.

I read on another forum that someone else had my same problem today. Footage was shot in dvcam mode onto miniDV tape. My HV30 cannot play that back nor capture it via vegas. I understand now that I need to use my friends camera to capture or have the dvcam formated tape converted to miniDV format--at least I was told that would work also.

I think I'll take the easy road and just use my friends camera to do the capture.

thanks much