Thread: Hey Alan, Mr Blu ray !

Blog Entries

Default Hey Alan, Mr Blu ray !

As I am usually one step from the bleeding edge of technology ( cos i am mostly broke) I was wondering whats it all about - blu ray....

I was wondering about the cost od drives / media. Compilation times ? Are writes reliable - just recalling what dvd writing was like in the early days... lots of fails.

Hows the pic q off the disc - better I hope than some of the very dissapointing broadcast quality I have had touted at me.

Ta.

Just a tad early to ask me I'm afraid. Although I have a blu-ray burner in this new box I've not used it yet and may not for a little while. A blank DVD-R costs a few pennies now but the cheapest blu-ray writeable disk is still about 5 (UKP) so not really cost effective to 'play' just yet.

I'm waiting on delivery of Adobe CS4 suite (check's in the post, honest!) and my next project, a family wedding I shot in HDV (sorry Mark!) will be editted in high(ish) def (1440x1080) and I think I will produce a blu-ray copy of it - if only for me.

But blu-ray in general, I'm well impressed with. Any movies worth buying now get bought in blu-ray which is 1080p. It's a total treat playing them on my PS3. Must confess though, 'Iron Man' hasn't come across as the greatest transfer. Comparable with Sky HD broadcast quality than full 1080p if you ask me.

A colleague at work has been burning blu-rays for a while. I'll try and get some numbers from him for you. He tend to leave the exports going overnight though so they're hardly real-time.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that - and as you say at five pound a pop playing will be scary.
    As for HDV - well the writing is on the wall - as soon as I work out a way of getting the edtiting process to be as fast as i am and maybe when blu ray dvds are like 30 p I will start saving.

I know everyone in the wedding market asks for hdv, but as yet people are not asking me and remain impressed with the technical quality of my output.

BUT - I am once again flirting with the idea of making this lark my living and have met a business brain who can help me with that boring stuff - I suspect then I will bite the hdv bullet - I note many production companies are touting it.

Well I say hdv but if i go legit it will likely be a higher bit rate hd beast like that bigger version on the ex1.

Default blu ray

I capture with canon Hv30 in HD, then use encore OPTION to MAKE BLU RAY IMAGE. Then I burn the image to a ordinary DVD using nero. I play the DVD in the PS3 ( Blue ray player ). The disc is not recognised as a Blu Ray so you have to navigate to the folder on the dvd with the mpeg2 file in it and select it. The quality is light years ahead of Dv and just a shade under the original full HD picture. On a 50 inch plasma it looks awesome. The only problem is you can only fit about 20 minutes worth on the DVD.

Mark, when the time comes for you to consider biting that bullet you should seriously consider forgetting HDV altogether and go straight to HD. If I were looking for a new camera I would ignore the HDV offerings and look at solid state HD models. I've been happy with Sony so I would start looking at the relatively new 'Sony PMW-EX1' camera.

Default HD versus HDV

I personally would not go the HD route because it uses AVCHD compression and is not true HD. When AVCHD stretches the picture to 1920 x 1080 there are some artifacts. Also there are well reported software problems when it comes to editing AVCHD and no program is rock solid at editing it. That said Adobe have just entered the fray with CS4 and I have yet to learn how it handles AVCHD. HDV on the other hand is tue HD and is easily edited as long as you have a recent dual or quad core Pc with 2 gigs of ram and plenty of hard drive space. I have seen and compared HD with HDV. I own a canon hv30, which is HDV onto mini dv tape...The picture is absolutely unbelievabe, even when viewing captured footage from the PC in mpeg2 format but when I watched the AVCHD format files from a friends HD camera/pc although initially impressed, it wasnt until I got my camera that I realised AVCHD was the poor relation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALJDVD View Post
    I personally would not go the HD route because it uses AVCHD compression and is not true HD.
    Please let's not get confused between the various options available for High Definition for the consumer. AVCHD is AVCHD and HDV is HDV. They are both universal formats.

Default ooops

"Please let's not get confused between the various options available for High Definition for the consumer. AVCHD is AVCHD and HDV is HDV. They are both universal formats"

OOOps sorry...got confused there... AVCHD IS A COMPRESSION format of HDV.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Please let's not get confused between the various options available for High Definition for the consumer. AVCHD is AVCHD and HDV is HDV. They are both universal formats.
    Typical. He jumps in here all unannounced, giving his own personal opinions and says just the wrong (right?) think to spoil what could have been a perfectly good argument!!! Completely ruined the whole day for everyone!!!! lol

Seriously though, All I meant was the time is about right to at least consider jumping straight over HDV and going HD.

Blog Entries

True HD has to be one of most overused catchphrases that is flung about the place by advertisers and marketing people - really it has no information vlaue at all.

lets get one thing sorted - no camera that you can buy in the consumer sector is true to anything - they are all a massive compromise and they are not driven by performance but by PRICE.

You want true HD performance then you had better start with the lens - and I dont mean some huge 20 times zoom with macro and stuff - I mean a prime lens - fixed, no zoom - this is what is used when you want the best in picture quality - one lens 10,000 !

Now you might hang that bauble on a thomson viper camera with three 9 mega pixel CCDs and uncompressed data capture - HDV is 20mbit/sec, the viper is up to 100s of mbit/sec - 50,000 maybe.

The editing process will use a rack the size of a fridge freezer and likely result in a dig master of around 4000 x 4000 pixles...

THAT is true HD