Thread: Premiere Pro transparency problem..please help!

Default Premiere Pro transparency problem..please help!

Hello,
    I'm a novice PPro user. I am trying to figure out the green screen feature. I've shot a short video in front of a green sheet. Using the Green Key feature, I'm able to turn the background from green to black....but I want it to be transparent. Di I use the File>Export>Movie to make an .avi file?

The objective is to then convert the avi to and .flv file to play on a website. I have Flash 8 Professional for the conversion but I think the transparency has to happen in Premiere Pro.

Does anyone have any experience doing this that might be able to help? Thanks everyone!

Black normally represents transparency as far as I'm aware.
    Do you have another track under your greenscreen footage with the footage you want to be replace the greenscreen with? if not that may be why you seeing black around your keyed subject.

I've not used that feature yet on Premiere so I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    I've not used that feature yet on Premiere so I'm no expert.
    You may be no expoert Raj, but your explanation is exactly right. You need something BEHIND your keyed video to make use of the transparancy.

I figured out that the black is actually transparent...though my lighting wasn't so great using the green background. I put a track behind the transparency and it sort of worked...I'll test with better lighting and try to clean it up.

The other question I'm having is how to export the clip, preserving the transparency to then convert it to a .flv file to play on a webpage in a player. Is there a special way to export and preserve the transparency?

Thanks for all the help!

First thing. I hope you get this to work. Premier Pro has always had lousy keyers. You would be better working in another package if it's an important piece of work.

Not quite sure why you would want the alpha channel preserved. At some point you'll be placing something behind it so why are you not doing that in premiere?

When I export to preserve transparency I tend to find it;s best to export the video clip as a series of stills in a format where transparency is preserved.

Alternatively, not sure where you will adding a background btu if a compoditing tool worth its name then you could just export it with a pure black background and then try using an 'Add' or 'Screen' blend mode to add it on top of something else.

Thanks for the reply Alan. Actually, I won't be placing anything behind the transparency. I'm trying to play the video with a transparent background on a website in a flash player with no visible frame or controls. For example, www.wowivideo.com. I'm hoping to have this working this week. Thanks again.

Let us know how it all goes. I'll be interested to see how an alpha channel translates on to the web page.