Thread: How to make a music video

Default How to make a music video

Hello all

Hope you might be able to help me.

I'm about to record a music video parody for my work, similar to the Nickleback - Rockstar video with lots of shots of people miming the words. This is my first time making this kind of video, so can anybody offer tips on the best way to shoot it to make it look good? I'm particularly concerned about getting the miming to fit with the lyrics on the audio track that will go over the top.

Thanks in advance

Mr C

Blog Entries

The trick with miming is easy - take a loud tape player - have the talent sing along. In the edit you use the live sound as a guide to dub the music over.

Thanks Mark - how about if I'm recording various different shots for the one song? Is there a sensible way to edit it together to keep the synch good when cutting the various clips together?

Blog Entries

Same principle applies, but you need a plan and discipline.

I've only ever watched this being done in a certain way for a particular reason.

In my case the videographer used two cameras and set up in various locations, shooting the artists straight through the entire song many times with the song playing through a simple portable cd player, 'ghetto blaster' style.

Using the soundtrack trace on the timeline he then just lined them all up, picking up on easily identifiable 'transients', including the orginal track , locked them together somehow, then arranged his cuts by chopping out sections through the layers to allow the ones below to show through. The aim of this particular video was speed, and watching over his shoulder he had a merchantable product within a few hours.

Surely not how it's done normally, but very quick and all in perfect sync.

Blog Entries

Yea - I have worked precisely in that way but single cam.

That is the safest, least chance of cock ups, way of doing this. Needs the most filming, but the least planning, and leaves most choices when editing.

Film the song all the way through from every camera angle. Film a few tarty panning shots. Multi track edit.

But this way of working will likely produce a video that is ok but nothnig special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    But this way of working will likely produce a video that is ok but nothnig special.
    Yeah, maybe, a lot is down to the desired result I guess, this was a ballad, so fairly straight sedate stuff with no gimmicky flashy bits going on. Just cuts from a stage setup to outdoor standing on a Devon Tor wind in the hair type stuff.