Thread: capturing VHS (analogue) without USB?

Default capturing VHS (analogue) without USB?

Hi, I've read all the "Sticky" threads to filter my question. But most of them seem to be aimed to DV cameras and what I'm trying to capture is from VCR to digital.

Is there another way to capture from VCR other than a USB capturing cable?

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop / Vista / 2.5 GB of RAM / 70GB FREE on my Hard Drive (Even though is Vista I have most of the fancy features turned off).
    For the last hours I've been cleaning my hard drive and will be defragmenting it.

Hardware: Dazzle USB cable
    Software: Pinnacle Studio 10

Problem: The higher the quality I want the more problems, dropped frames, out of sync here and there and momentarily slow motion speed on the visual. The setting for capturing I'm using is DV cuz the footage I'm capturing is really that important and I'm hoping to transfer it to DVD.

I could settle for less quality as long as it still looks pretty decent on TV but so far all the combinations I've tried result in a very obvious pixelated image.

Blog Entries

My expirience of capture cards is limited and dissapointing.

This Digital Video Converters : Grass Valley Canopus ADVC-55 Digital to Analogue Converter is the high quality sensible price option.

Blog Entries

A cheaper and less elegant soloution is to use a DV camera with an analogue video in to digitise the video.

Lots of dv cameras have this function. Here is a list - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...-v-inputs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    A cheaper and less elegant soloution is to use a DV camera with an analogue video in to digitise the video.

Lots of dv cameras have this function. Here is a list - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...-v-inputs.html

Thanks for your replies. I've been trying to do the DV camera thing but I just can't figure it out. I tried it on "Movie Maker" and nothing would come out. I have to have no tape in the camera and select PLAY right. I'll try with Pinnacle.

Blog Entries

You must have a video IN on your c corder - have you ? Only a minority can do this - see list I appended above.

no, mine doesn't . thanks I'll see that list.

You need composite video in on your camcorder or S-video in if you want to use s-vhs instead of vhs. Like everything else this video in feature is becoming more rare now. You might still find a cheap mini dv camcorder on ebay, all you need is for it to have this video in and DV out and your set. It doesn't matter what the rest of the camcorder is like. You connect the vcr to the video in on the camcorder and either connect the audio to audio in on the camcorder if it has it or try the audio in on your sound card, although sync problems may occur if you do this. Then run a Firewire cable from the mini dv to the computer and capture the video the same way as if you had a tape in the mini dv camcorder. On the menu in the mini dv camcorder set AV to in and DV to out.

Awesome. I might try that. I didn't wanted to buy another camera but so far seems the easiest solution. Thanks