Thread: In at the deep end?

Default In at the deep end?

Hi, and thanks for all the useful info about videography that I've picked up on the forum so far.
    I'm considering getting into wedding videography, I'm a wedding photographer but want to be more versatile. Acting on some advice from the forum I'm chasing a second hand but apparently little-used Sony HVR-Z1E HDV Camcorder Z1 Z1E , for 2000.00.
    I just wonder whether `dabblers' like myself should start off with a more basic cam, as I can't charge the usual full wedding videography fee, which seems to be around 1000.00, and thus recover the cost of the cam fairly quickly.
    By the way, if anyone on the forum has a good cam they want to sell, I'd be interested.
    Last edited by snapper1; 11-06-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Dabblers are con men if they charge.

Dont charge untill you are a pro, not a dabbler..... Only a very few shills are transferable, like compositional skills and knowledge of dof.

Apart from that it is a toally different game and about a thousand times more demanding. You gotta learn to use an editor too, and then learn how to edit.

Hi Mark, thanks for responding. I don't charge for the videography, I make it clear that it's a free extra. I figure this way I can learn wedding videography without being responsible.
    I appreciate that it's more demanding than wedding photography - if you do it the way you guys seem to do.
    It seems to me that I've been mixing with the wrong kind of wedding videographers. The ones that I meet at weddings just seem to follow the action, they don't set any shots up the way that I do.
    For example, I don't see them looking for good backgrounds, interesting lighting, capturing any photojournalistic moments - or setting up any photojournalistic moments, the way that I do.

"setting up photojournalistic moments" ?

You're not one of these complete pain in the ass Photographers that faff around for ages whilst the guests get bored to death are you? I trust this all goes on before the event?

Sorry to be negative, personal point of view.

Blog Entries

Snapper - I recant then - and say 3 hail marys for being bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
    "setting up photojournalistic moments" ?

You're not one of these complete pain in the ass Photographers that faff around for ages whilst the guests get bored to death are you? I trust this all goes on before the event?

Sorry to be negative, personal point of view.
    I played wedding photographer last week at my sons wedding to save him some money. I wish he would have let me make a video might have been a lot less stress full !!

The results were ok and the bride and groom are pleased but with still its not quite as wysiwyg as video, or am I trying to talk myself into doing more videos

Yes it's about planning. Arriving early and metering your shots using grey cards and incident lighting, planning locations and settings, visit the customer before hand and find out what they are expecting, but mainly on the day you should be stealth like, unobtrusive, yet able to command people's attention when needed. Wedding photography, and I would imagine video just as much if not more, is about fluidity and confidence. Get it wrong and you can severly effect the customers day.

Imho there are far too many have-a-goer's calling them selves professionals in wedding imagery, sadly many couples don't necessarily know that, but whilst 'so long as the customer is happy' is valid, being good and getting future work is dependent on being better than Joe Lens with his male jewellery thinking he's tops. And always have a backup!