Thread: audio help please

Question audio help please

hey im new to this site, i have a sony dv handycam which i love im always filming things here and there, family get togethers etc. now i used to copy the video footage on to VHS but now i think its time for me to move up to dvd recording. i have the software that allows me to transfer my footage to my pc via usb, (i dont have a firewire lead). now my problems are
    a) the video capturing done by my pc is amazing really clear but there is no audio at all,
    b) the pc only captures up to 10minutes at a time.

has anybody else had these problems?? i did do a search all threads before i made one but i couldnt find anything mirroring my problem.
    any help greatly appriciated thanks

Western Europe

If you have a mini dv camcorder then you should use Firewire instead and not USB. If you have a spare PCI slot in your computer you can fit an internal card in 5 minutes. It will give you 3 external Firewire socket and 1 internal. What software are you using to do the capture with and what is the spec of your computer?

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

I would state this a little stronger than my friend Nikosony. I would phrase it as simply as "if you don't transfer from miniDV tape via firewire then you are simply doing it WRONG!"

I thiknk you have deeper problems though. You can only transfer 10 minutes. This raises problems. My guess is that your disk drive is formatted as FAT32. Big problem for video if it is. FAT32 disks have a max file size which, you guessed, almost exactly equates to about ten minutes fo uncompressed footage. You need to reformat your video drive to NTFS to cure this.