Thread: Proof?

Default Proof?

You may recall I've not been entirely happy with my efforts to capture VHS - not great image quality, and some audio/video sync issues - and I've been trying to finally nail down whether it's the Belkin USB thingy or the capture settings/software I'm using. In my heart of hearts, I think I know it's the Belkin USB thingy (hence my other thread on Canopus configuration) but I'm just trying to avoid a) throwing away the £50 I spent, and b) spending another £100.

So I think I've come up with one final test, the outcome of which will provide me with irrefutable evidence. Or will it?

Right now, my VCR is just sitting there, attached only to my PC. Suppose I connect it to the aerial and pass the TV signal directly through from the VCR via the Belkin thingy, watching the TV on my PC. If that comes through in good quality, and with no audio/video sync problems, does that mean that the Belkin thingy is basically OK and I need to change my software/capture settings?

Critique welcome...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

I doubt the ariel will work. Better to hook it up via s-video. As this will probably be software driven encoding, you may get dropped frames if you don't have top condition drives, fast processor and/or reduced frame rate and size.

I really do recommend an ADVC100. Connect the VCR to the s-video in, connect the ADVC100 to the PC via firewire, then capture as you would a DV cam.

Blog Entries

Is this taking over your life by any chance Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I really do recommend an ADVC100. Connect the VCR to the s-video in, connect the ADVC100 to the PC via firewire, then capture as you would a DV cam.
    Aye! That'd be favourite!

And if you do, and you're interested, you can find this kit with Adobe video editing suite (Premiere Pr 1.5, Encore 1.5 and Audition 1.5) bundled in as well.

Blog Entries

If you want me to show you the quality, send me a copy of a tape and I'll send you back a DVD

Marc, you may have misunderstood. Aerial into the VCR from my existing TV aerial feed, use the VCR’s tuner to choose a channel, SCART converted to RCA video out the back of the VCR to the Belkin, USB into the PC. That should work… I know you recommend the ADVC100 – but the ADVC50 seems to do most of what the 100 does for rather less money…

And: it’s a lethal combination of a) being very quiet at work at present, and b) having a fundamentally obsessive nature… Oh, and c) being basically tight.

Again, a very generous offer, Marc. Let me think on’t…

Millsy: unfortunately – or fortunately, depending on how you look at it – I have the full set: Pro 1.5, AE 6.5, Audition 1.5, Encore 1.5 – oh and Photoshop, just for good measure. I know, I know what you're thinking - the guy has all this software and he's trying to cut corners with his capture card...?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    I have the full set: Pro 1.5, AE 6.5, Audition 1.5, Encore 1.5 – oh and Photoshop
    Just give me a shout if you ever need anyone to, er, 'evaluate' AE6.5 for you

But seriously, I mentioned the s/w before because buying them as part of a package with a capture card is not only th echeapest way of gettign the s/w (bar none) It just could have been the deciding factor in getting the h/w too. I wasn't aware (or forgot) you already had the s/w so didn;t need a 'carrot'. I know the s/w bundle certainly helped me in my choice of the Matrox RTX100.

I'm watching eBay, but I can't see any 100's likely to come in at much less than 150 of your English pounds... :(