Thread: Canopus Configuration

Default Canopus Configuration

An option I'm considering in order to get better quality VHS video in than my Belkin thingy offers is the Canopus ADVC-50. It seems well reviewed, and I'm intrigued by the video/audio lock: I've already seen some problems with video/audio sync, and it seems to be a general problem with analog video capture.

However, what I can't work out from anything I've read is what it takes to make it work. By that I mean, it says that it works with/requires an existing DV capture card. I note that it has a DV out socket. Does this mean that, in order to capture, you run a cable from the DV out socket on the front panel of the Canopus to the DV in socket on your Firewire card? And will any old Firewire card do? And supposing, instead of front mounting it, you mount it in a PCI slot - what, if anything, does that change?

Any explanation of how the Canopus works/is configured would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

I think I'm inching closer to an ADVC-55... Looks like the ADVC-50 needs either an enclosure or to be installed in a PCI slot, neither of which is very appealing. Am I right in thinking, though, that the two are functionally identical? And am I also right in thinking that the major difference between the ADVC-50/55 and the ADVC-100 is that the former don't give you analog out? Anyone have any experince of the 50/55?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

I just realised... I'd been hoping for feedback from you guys (Marc, Millsy) re the Canopus products on the basis that this is what you have - but realised that the '100' you have is a Matrox product, not a Canopus. Silly me.... Millsy: I note in another thread that you recommend the Dazzle for capturing analog/VHS (at the price I'm looking to pay, which is 100 - 150). What I'm looking for is something better than the Belkin USB DVD thingy that I have now: doesn't have to be outstanding quality, but does need to be substantially better. Is anyone in a position to compare/contrast the Canopus ADVC-55 and the Dazzle product?

Blog Entries

I have a canopus ADVC100 and love it.

Thanks Marc. The ADVC-100 is almost certainly more than I can get permission to spend: do you have any idea how it compares with the ADVC-55 in terms of quality? The only difference I can see is that with the ADVC-55, you lose analog out - which I don't need. Am I missing something important?

Blog Entries

I would have bought the ADVC50 if i wasn't also getting Premiere bundled (and had a spare slot on my PC).

Cool - thanks Marc.