Thread: Some advice from the pros please

Default Some advice from the pros please

Hi,
    I am contemplating purchasing a canon xm2 Here's why. I have video'd some weddings for friends, then edited with Magix Movie pro. All my friends have been delighted with the results. Not because the quality was great, just because they felt I captured the feeling and emotion of the day and they liked what I filmed, how I filmed it and how it was edited.

I want to do more weddings for friends/people I know, with a view to possibly being able to set up a small business. I am a midwife and love my profession. I'm not looking to go full time, just to film and edit more weddings as its something I really love doing.

Would the XM2 suit this purpose. I am not able to stretch much further price wise and am aware that I will probably need to spend somewhere near the price of the camera to get all the extras I am going to need (microphone, lights, batteries etc).

I would also appreciate some advice on what microphone to buy if I go for the XM2. I have been looking at the DM50?

Thank you

Caline

Blog Entries

My personal opinion is that it all depends on how you intend this to progress.

The Canon xm2 is a great little camcorder and will certainly produce the goods as far as friends' weddings are concerned. However...

If you intend to set up a business you'l find that it's not really up to the job. The reason is that you will be competing with semi-pros and Uncle Henry who will also have camcorders of the canon xm2 quality. So you have to produce something better. In your position you should look at least at the Canon XHA1, the Sony Z1 or that sort of level. Certainly HDV as, in a couple of years, blueray players will be the norm, the majority will have HD televisions and you'll be expected to deliver a wedding in HD or HDV quality. In the same way you'll have to deliver professional quality sound, and that means professional sound kit.

So, to answer your question. The Canon xm2 is an excellent camcorder and well up to the task of doing videos for friends but not up to the grade if you expect people to pay for a profesional wedding dvd.

Blog Entries

That is a great camera and will produce adequate results and if you were planning hard hat training videos I would say cool.

However the wedding market is different. People who do wedding vids are touting themselves with formats - its all hdv / hd and punters appear to care little for the real skills of the film maker but ARE impressed by HDV - people percive this as best and essential - that is just the way of it - and its a bit daft, but there you go.

You clearly have passion and skill and that may put you ahead of the tawdry pack - and remember there is money to be made if you are good. Peraphs it may be worth your while splashing on some cool kit and keep the XM as a second cam - always useful.
    Last edited by Mark W; 11-04-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Also - it may be useful to get some real knives out feedback for your work so far from forum users - maybe post some in user vids - if you dare.... ( maniacal cackle)

Also remember you will need insurance, music licences, pay tax and all the nice bits of a business, all this adds to the cost of the final product.

The best feedback is as said above not from your client but from other videographers who look at it in a different light.

Also look at some training as this can be invaluable.