Thread: Electromagnetic Fields advice?!

Unhappy Electromagnetic Fields advice?!

I desperately need some advice, I'm supposed to be filming a huge piece of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance equipment, however I'm concerned about the effects it may have on my Sony Z1! I've been told that certain positions in the room are safe for people to stand in but the effects on things like credit cards are irreversible- does anyone know the 'safe' levels of magnetism/ electromagnetic fields the Z1 can with stand? I've read in the manual it can cope with E1, E2, E3, E4 electromagnetic environments but does anyone actually know what this means?!
    Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

My gut feeling would be no.

The magnets are on all the time and the fields can be up to 4 tesla - thats high. When I did my nurses training I was told nothing ever magnetic was allowed in the scanning room.

I have a friend who is a raidographer, I will see if I can catch him for an opinion. Is filming from the operators position possible?

its not in an operating theatre, its at a university where it is being used for experiments- if I could figure out the amount being used it might help. Do you know what the Electromagnetic environments ratings mean?!
    I've filmed in several operating theaters before with no ill effects its just the shear size of the machinery that the problem?!

Blog Entries

I meant the scanner operators postion.

I am guessing its a superconducting magnet hence they cant turn it off ? ? ? ?

not being able to turn it off defiantly! Its a tricky one, I'm waiting to hear back from the physics guy about the type of magnetic disturbance/ quantity I'm working against!

I was talking to one of my professors just last week and they were telling me that they were doing a shoot under the cn tower (ya im canadian haha) and their cameras were not working because all the interference from the transmitters. He told me they had to wrap there cameras with something, but I forget what. I could ask?