Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for SD DV cam for broadcast quality.

Default Looking for SD DV cam for broadcast quality.

Hello guys,

I have been browsing this site for a few days now and I have decided to post this thread.

Basically, im a student looking to delve into some film-making, will probably be alot of outside shooting and documentary style shooting. However, as a total newbie I have no idea what I'm looking for. I don't need and cutting-edge HD camcorder, I'm just looking for some recommendations for an old model, preferably larger to reduce shaking, with a good lense so the image is broadcast quality and the output preferably DV so I can edit it easily.

So does anybody have any recommendation for some models I can look for to pick up relatively cheaply?

Im hoping to spend around 500 for a used model.

Thanks /devbot.

Blog Entries

Shoulder mount vx9000e maybe? I wore out 2 of them.

First gen dv so needs to be used within its capabilities and then it performs well - can be had for much less than 500 but shit in low light so may not suit.

I would suggest a used pdx10 / pd100 / pd150 / pd170 all sony or canon xl1 / 2 / xm1 / 2

I suspect they may all be a bit over 500 apart from the pd100.

I wouldnt insist on DV cam - it is exactly the same as DV except it has a faster tape speed so only 40 mins a tape. Was developed to help comaptability issues and to be more resistant to drop outs, which are not a prob on DV really.

Blog Entries

ah, my bad, I bet you mean a dv camera, not DVCAM...

Also the last 3 ccd sd dv panasonic consumer cams were well good cameras - but cant recall the name - anyone else ?

yeah the canon XM2 is just the sort of thing im looking for, but it looks like I may have to pay nearer 700 for that. If there is further suggestions, please contribute as Im looking to spend as little as possible (being a student and all).

The Canon XL1 is looking like a good option as well, if I could find it for around 500. Any recommendations of where to look for good second/third hand cams?

Blog Entries

Well, I have 2 busted vx9000e if that camera appeals - they are fixable. Interested? Can post more about them if you are.

Hmm, not really - if they dont shoot great in low light as you say. However depending on the cost of fixing etc. I might be. Please, if you wish, post some details!

Also, is there anywhere online I should look to pick up some used cams, or is eBay my best bet?

Blog Entries

Frankly I am going to try to put you off....

Shooting in an ambiently lit room after dark is a nono without noisey gain.
    They smear badly of very overexposed stuff - the sun is a vertical line...

But being large and s mount they are lush to use.

One has a bust f wire daughter board - 400 for the part ( gasp) and the other has a sticky zoom and a flaky transport. Two could become one if you are small fingered.

If I were you I wouldnt bother - any of the other cams mentioned would perform better in a wider range of situations. And they make nice bookends in my front room.

You've done a good job of putting me off!

Iv looked around on ebay and found some of the Canon's (XM/XL) for around 500, but looks like they will go for nearer 800. The Sony's all look abit too steep for me.

Is there any more older models I should perhaps look for, or is my budget just too low for a big shoulder mount?

Blog Entries

Maybe a bit low - but real sd bargains do come along on e bay. If you want a biggie, and dont we all, check out trade sites too.

A year ago I picked up a nearly new jvc DV5001e with lens / charger / bats / bag / 100 hours only for 1500 quid - not bad, 7000 new.

Look for jvc dv500 ( cheaper usually), sony dsr200/250, panasonic do some similar but name escapes me. I suspect if your are persistent you will find a deal - lots of pro / semi pro people are selling thier sd gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast