Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What project properties should I use? (Vegas movie studio platinum 9.0)

Default What project properties should I use? (Vegas movie studio platinum 9.0)

Hi,

I am about to edit my video with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 - but I am unsure what settings to use for the best quality.

I recorded the video with a Canon HF10 in 24p mode and the resolution is 1920 x 1080.

In the project settings' video tab there are these parameters:

Width, Height, Framerate, Field Order, Pixel Aspect ratio
    Full-resolution rendering quality and deinterlace method

Regarding Width, Height and Framerate I should fill l in 1920, 1080 and 24,0 I guess? But what with the rest?

Moreover a few clips of the movie is recorded with another framerate (60i) - but that's not very many clips - It was a brand new camera so I experimented a bit.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Not sure about your version but in V8 there is a folder icon on the page, if you open that and find a file from your camera on the HDD, the settings are then automatically filled.

Failing that I would look at the pal WS SD settings and then do the same just adjusting the pixel size and frame rate to interlaced or progressive

Thanks for your reply

I just tried this, but I can't understand why it says the framerate is 29.970 in my movie clips? And the "field order" is "upper field first" - but It is recorded in progressive mode (24P) - shouldn't it then be "None (progressive scan)" and 24.00 fps?

I am 100% sure I recorded in 24P mode.

Would appreciate some more help

Default New problem :(

It looks like i ran into another problem..

I tried setting the project settings so they're identical to what Vegas says the movie clips are - then I tried rendering the movie and burn in to a DVD (only a small clip so It could fit on a DVD).

I clicked "Make movie" -> Burn it to a DVD, Blu-Ray disc, or CD -> Blu-Ray disc

Then i used these 'render parameters':

Video format: Sony AVC (*.mp4,*.m2ts,*.avc)
    Video template: Blu-ray 1920*1080-60i, 16Mbps video stream
    Audio format (only 1 option): Sony Wave64 (*.w64)
    Audio template (only 1 option too): 48.000 Hz; 16bit; Stereo, PCM

This worked with the small clip - but when I then add some more clips to the timeline and try rendering and burning, the program crashes at the rendering process.

I even tried just rendering a small part of the movie by making a "loop playback" region and then check the "render loop region only".

What could be wrong? I know the rendering is ressource heavy but I got a Intel Core2 Quad 9450 cpu @ 2.8ghz and 4gb memory - running windows xp. This should be enough to handle the rendering..

I tried rendering with these render parameters too:

Video format: MainConcept MPEG-2 (*.mpg;*.m2v;*.m2t; *.mpa)
    Video template: Blu-ray 1920*1080-60i, 25Mbps video stream
    Same audio settings as before

This time the rendering worked fine - took app. 50 mins to render a 22 minutes movie - it appears to me it is much faster than with the other settings (the video preview shown while rendering seems more smooth now). I rendered the whole movie and unfortunately it ended up being a bit too big to fit on a DVD so I tried to render and burn just 2 minutes instead for a quick test with these settings.

I did this, it worked, but when I insert it into my blu-ray player the movie isn't smooth - it's plainly unwatchable. It looks like the first 5 seconds are smooth, but then it starts to clutter and the sound disappeared.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me fix this problem - I have tried so many different programs (Premiere pro CS3, Pinnacle Studio 12 and now Vegas) to edit the video from my new HD camera - so far with no luck.

Maybe this is a bit far away from my original question - I can post a new thread if that's better

You are burning a blue ray format onto a DVD?

I would lower the bit rate perhaps its to high for the player and is having trouble reading it that fast... (the max for a normal DVD should be no more then 8Mpbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    You are burning a blue ray format onto a DVD?

I would lower the bit rate perhaps its to high for the player and is having trouble reading it that fast... (the max for a normal DVD should be no more then 8Mpbs)
    That shouldn't affect things when I only render the movie and make an iso file? There's no burning involved when it crashes..

Moreover I don't see any option to change the bit rate without changing other things too (It seems that I can only get 8 Mbps with 1440*1080 resolution..)

To my surprise the rendering didn't crash when using 1920*1080-60i 10Mbps... but how come I was able to render with MainConcept MPEG-2 videoformat 1920*1080-60i, 25Mbps video stream. that's 25Mbps which worked with out any problems at all.. but then the movie stuttered.

I'm confused - also about why the framerate apparently needs to be 60i since I recorded in 24P.. that's a mystery to me. Got any idea of what could be the explanation on that?

Now with 1920*1080-60i 10Mpbs it's still stutters a bit when i pan - but that's maybe because i recorded in 24P? Though I was careful not to pan too fast to avoid this.

Blog Entries

Problems indeed. Slow down. Facts needed i think.
    We must make certain what the format of the clip is.

What does vegas tell you when you right click on the media on the timeline and read off it's attributes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Problems indeed. Slow down. Facts needed i think.
    We must make certain what the format of the clip is.

What does vegas tell you when you right click on the media on the timeline and read off it's attributes ?

Okay - I have taken some screenshots of the properties menu, I think that is easier than typing all the various settings If you want the text in the 'general' tab I can post it too.

Here it goes:

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Ok - now regardless of what you think you have shot, what you actually have is a interlaced file.

Set the project settings to the same as the media. Keep the file interalced throughout the production process to ensure best quality. It appears from the frame rate that this is an interlaced ntsc file ( ntsc frame rate) - is it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast