Thread: Editing Virgin Needs Advice Please!

Question Editing Virgin Needs Advice Please!

Hi there

I'm really new to editing. To date, my experience is only in using the free program: "memoriesonweb"

I have been given Sony Vegas pro 8 and Sony movie studio pro 9 to use and Adobe photosphop CS3.

I also have a SD Sony camcorder but have some HD video clips on a dvd as well.

Problem is ... my laptop isn't very efficient (It's an IBM Lenovo T60)

I have 500 ish (I''m in the UK)

I'm looking for a new PC.

Can someone recommend something off the shelf to buy? Or give me some links to suitable PCs off Ebay? Is it also worth having blueray?

I'm not technical ... so I would appreciate it if you could make it simple for me to understand what it is that I need to be able to make videos and use Photoshop (I haven't loaded software on yet ... and I have training manuals and discs ready to learn from.)

Thanks so much in advance!!

Amy X

Anyone?

I would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Forget blu ray. Too soon.

As for the pc - 2 gig of ram is ok, spec 2 drives min - one for the os and apps, the other for windows.

Get a firewire card if you are planning 0on using a dv or hdv camera.

The more cores the besster - thats about it.

Any decent pc will edit video nowadays.

Any decent pc going now will edit video as long as it has a minimum spec of

Get a desktop PC instead of a laptop for your 500, as they are better equipped for expansion at a later date.

2GB Ram

2 internal hard disks as Mark says, one for the OS and apps and the other for video capture only. You don't need the most expensive OS, just get Windows Vista Basic and that will do alright, if this was 6 months ago I would still have suggested XP but I can edit alright now on Vista Basic, you just need to download a pile of codecs (for video and audio) such as the freeware K-Lite pack.

A dual core Intel Pentium 4 running anywhere above 2.4Ghz

Don't waste money on a graphics card as it isn't needed for video capture and playback.

And as many free PCI slots as you can get, although they seem to be disappearing like the dinosaurs. These PCI slots will allow you to add a Firewire card if the computer you buy doesn't have one already built into it.

Six USB ports for connecting up all the usual suspects, printer, scanner, external hard drives etc.

Spend the most amount on the computer and try and budget for at least a 19 inch monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Any decent pc going now will edit video as long as it has a minimum spec of

Get a desktop PC instead of a laptop for your 500, as they are better equipped for expansion at a later date.

2GB Ram

2 internal hard disks as Mark says, one for the OS and apps and the other for video capture only. You don't need the most expensive OS, just get Windows Vista Basic and that will do alright, if this was 6 months ago I would still have suggested XP but I can edit alright now on Vista Basic, you just need to download a pile of codecs (for video and audio) such as the freeware K-Lite pack.

A dual core Intel Pentium 4 running anywhere above 2.4Ghz

Don't waste money on a graphics card as it isn't needed for video capture and playback.

And as many free PCI slots as you can get, although they seem to be disappearing like the dinosaurs. These PCI slots will allow you to add a Firewire card if the computer you buy doesn't have one already built into it.

Six USB ports for connecting up all the usual suspects, printer, scanner, external hard drives etc.

Spend the most amount on the computer and try and budget for at least a 19 inch monitor.
    That was really helpful! Thanks so much to both of you!!

Amy X

I've been looking around on Ebay ... but how do I do a search for a PC with 2 internal hard disks? Is there a word for this? I see the word "quad" for 4 internal discs.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!!

Thanks
    Amy

Blog Entries

Any decent PC vendor will add an extra drive if you ask.

It isnt essential but it is advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by EditingVirgin View Post
    I've been looking around on Ebay ... but how do I do a search for a PC with 2 internal hard disks? Is there a word for this? I see the word "quad" for 4 internal discs.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!!

Thanks
    Amy
    Generally "Quad" means the number of processing cores that the cpu has.
    Like Mike says any vendor will add a second harddrive for you.