Thread: Video quality

1. Default Video quality

Hi all, firstly i am a total novice at this, but my question is i have recently uploaded video footage from my camcorder (panasonic sdrh 40) and have converted the files and edited in windows movie maker, i have then converted the files back and burnt to disk using Nero. When playing back on ny DVD player the quality is nowhere as good as when i plug my camcorder directly into my TV and watch it this way.

A friend suggusted getting a fiewire cable to tranfer the files from camcorder to PC, but this camcorder do'snt seem to have a firewire port even though it is only 3 months old.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but could anyone give me advice on how to get the quality better when burning to disk.

Thanks

Your camcorder is a hard disk model and does not have a Firewire socket. It can also record onto Secure Digital memory cards. I believe the file format is a variation of mpeg which is a highly compressed video format so you are already starting off with a low quality file. What software did you use to convert from mpeg to ? so the file would open in WMM? I downloaded MPEGStreamClip1.2 which is freeware from Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows and this will open up mpeg files and allow you to covert them to avi which is a better file format for editing. If you intend using this software you first need to download QuicktimeAlt181 which is also freeware and run and install it first. It has codecs that need to be on your computer first before MPEGStreamClip1.2 can work properly. When you have the file converted to avi it will be a big file ranging from a few hundred megabytes a few gigabytes depending on the length of the video. This is normal, open it up in your editor WMM or download a 30 day trial of Adobe Premiere Elements (most up to date version) from Adobe's website and use that instead. It will also allow you to burn your dvd's without having to use another application.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Your camcorder is a hard disk model and does not have a Firewire socket. It can also record onto Secure Digital memory cards. I believe the file format is a variation of mpeg which is a highly compressed video format so you are already starting off with a low quality file. What software did you use to convert from mpeg to ? so the file would open in WMM? I downloaded MPEGStreamClip1.2 which is freeware from Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows and this will open up mpeg files and allow you to covert them to avi which is a better file format for editing. If you intend using this software you first need to download QuicktimeAlt181 which is also freeware and run and install it first. It has codecs that need to be on your computer first before MPEGStreamClip1.2 can work properly. When you have the file converted to avi it will be a big file ranging from a few hundred megabytes a few gigabytes depending on the length of the video. This is normal, open it up in your editor WMM or download a 30 day trial of Adobe Premiere Elements (most up to date version) from Adobe's website and use that instead. It will also allow you to burn your dvd's without having to use another application.
    Hi i used a freeware program called winavi video converter, i then edited in WMM, then converted back using the same program and burnt to disk.
    So are you saying that these HD camcorders are no good if you want to convert your footage to disk. If so what is the point in them?

Hi, have you tried authoring and burning some video that has not be converted and is raw mpeg straight from the video camera, if this makes a playable DVD then you need a program to edit with like Womble mpeg video wizard or similar program that does smart rending and uses the mpeg files of your camera without any conversion, it says about you camera that it does standard resolution mpeg2. converting the video is the last thing to do if you want to retain the video quality.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Hi, have you tried authoring and burning some video that has not be converted and is raw mpeg straight from the video camera, if this makes a playable DVD then you need a program to edit with like Womble mpeg video wizard or similar program that does smart rending and uses the mpeg files of your camera without any conversion, it says about you camera that it does standard resolution mpeg2. converting the video is the last thing to do if you want to retain the video quality.

Hi wandering free, can u elaborate on that a bit more please, as i said i am a total novice, and what you have said does'nt mean a great deal to me.

Thanks

Hi, Authoring is the process of converting an mpg into a DVD that is playable on most DVD players, however some DVD players will play mpg that is burnt onto a disk without having to go through the authoring process, on a DVD that has be authored, you will find there is a folder called VIDEO_TS and sometimes one called AUDIO_TS but not used, in the VIDEO_TS folder are a list of files created by the authoring program, your original video mpg files will have been re-named VTS_01_1.VOB and if the original mpg was over 1GB it will have split it up and called the next one VTS_01_2. What I wanted you to try was burn some original mpg with Nero, and see how it plays, if it plays, all you need is a program that does what is called smart rendering, this is were the editing program only re-encodes the parts of the video you have put an overlay of a title on or used a transition between shots. it should then play back in as good quality as the original that you played staight of the camera. The trouble with re-encoding to make it easier for the editing program is you might inadvertanty be resizing the video or useing a lower bitrate, both of which are not good.. There is a free authoring and burning program called BurnOn CdDvD.